Fwd: Cost to replumb?

I got exactly the same price in Austin for a similar house (1955 though). Specified copper that would be insulated and I think they mentioned eight fixtures. Do not know if this is high or low:
My situation is I have galvanized with no obvious problems (no reduced flow etc.). My main shutoff cannot be turned off (except on the city side) and two independent plumbers warned me not to try replacing it unless I was willing to replumb if the pipe proved to be too fragile. And the price quoted was in this context.
Roland