Fuse repeated Blowing on Potterton clock/programmer

Hello All,
I'm a bit of a diy n00b, but I can at least change a fuse. So I felt bit foolish paying a central heating engineer 65 to get my heatin re-started when the problem turned out to by a dead 3amp fuse in th mains socket that the boiler programmer (Potterton EP2001) wa connected too.
However since he first visited in late December I have since woken u on three separate mornings to find the house cold, and fuse blow again.
Can anyone advise as to what is likely to be the cause of the fuse blowing?
-- jumblemo

You might check all the connections and make sure they are all tight and clean. Including the fuse socket itself. If that isn't it I would put an amp clamp on the line to see what the draw is. It should be below 3 amps if it is over, you have overloaded the circuit.....good luck and hope that helps....Ross
Fuses generally blow account of excess current draw through the fuse. Some may blow from excess temperatures. They do use a low melting point alloy, after all.
--

Christopher A. Young
This space intentionally left blank
jumblemo wrote:

posting to:
UK.D-I-Y
Jim

Fuses open/blow for a reason. Installing a bigger one is one of the better ways I know of to either cause damage or start a fire. Other posters suggested checking connections, I will almost bet that is not the problem. But it never hurts to go through the connections. Time to hire some one that can find the problem or keep a lot of fuses around until you decide to get it fixed.
Reminds me of the newsgroup post so many years ago. The customer had a system that would blow a 5 amp fuse once a week. He put in a 30 amp fuse, figuring that since 30 is six times larger than five, it would last six times longer.
Anyhow, the fuse did not blow for the next six weeks, but several other parts of the system did.