furnace filters

greetings, i just replaced an elderly neigborhs hammock style filter. i bought a roll of filter material and cut it to size and i was wondering if doubling up on the filter to add life to the filter would work thanks cj
cj wrote:

That would actually make it clog up twice as fast. To make a filter last longer you need more surface area. Making the filter twice as thick does not add any surface area.
On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 16:46:23 GMT, "Rick Brandt"

Oh yes. Doubling the thickness does increase the filter surface area. It also increases the air resistance to recirculating air and that may reduce hot air reaching registers further away from the furnace. You probably won't lose the total amount of heat output from the furnace. I think having the filter clog faster might be a desirable result as one can throw away a clogged filter and thereby permanently remove the dust from the circulating air. In fact I think I will do this, cut the hammock type filter to increase the regular filter's effectiveness(?)

You have to change it when it gets dirty. Would putting a second filter behind the first stop the first from getting dirty. No? Then why would doubling up add life?
Does the manufacurer recommend doubling up, or is the blower designed for a single layer? What do you think doubling the air resistance will do to your system?
If you could double up by doubling the area (rather than thickness) you would be on to something.
ok, single layer it is thanks cj