Furnace blows but does not heat (intermittent problem)

Page 4 of 7

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair,alt.hvac Subject: FIXED!!!!!: Furnace blows but does not heat (intermittent problem)
--text follows this line--

No thanks to some of the "pros" here, but I fixed the problem myself.
It was a great learning experience -- I learned a lot about furnace drainage and controls. Best of all, I didn't have to hire any of those ARROGANT ASSHOLE types that seem to infest this newsgroup.
Only cost to me was my time -- I didn't asphyxiate myself, blow up the house, or even break anything! Imagine that a stupid homeowner can actually fix something without bowing to the gods of alt.hvac.
In all seriousness, I do want to thank the disgruntled alt.hvac pros because without their bullshit, I might actually have given up and called a tech. But they offered a challenge that I just couldn't refuse.
So, please if you are a handy homeowner, don't be scared off by these nitwits. HVAC repair is far from rocket science -- just a little basic plumbing and electricity. Now to tell the truth, I would probably never take apart a gas connection because that stuff (along with roofing) actually scares me, but the rest is easy -- I mean I was building more complicated electrical control circuits back in grade school. Just remember that the only reason they bark so loud is that they are afraid you may actually look inside an HVAC unit and realize how simple it is and then you may realize that they are just a bunch of overpaid and overpampered high school graduates (if that).
Anyway, enough of the gloat. Here are the details of what I believe went wrong and what I did to fix it in case someone else has a similar problem in the future...
Issue ended up being a problem with condensate drainage (thanks Dmitrios for the hint based on your experience). The actual cause of it shutting off was that the inducer pressure switch was triggered (thanks Tony Hwang).
It Really ended up being two contributing problems. First, the flexible rubber condensate tube leading from the exhaust side of the ventor motor to the internal trap (black plastic manifold where 3 condensate drain lines meet before exiting the furnace) was FILLED with particles -- so much so that the entire line was blocked solid. Some of these particles had also started to clog the trap. I couldn't believe how much crap was there!
Interestingly, despite the clog which presumably had been there for a while, the system still worked until I added the condensate pump last week. In the installation, the last couple of feet of the flexible tubing sloped upwards (after dropping about 20 feet). My guess is that this created a second water trap that aggravated the more proximal blockage within the furnace.
In any case, I cleaned out all the condensate tubing inside the furnace and shortened the final stretch of tubing leading to the condensate pump so that it slopes down almost vertically into the pump tank.
All works PERFECTLY now -- ran the furnace for about 2 hours straight and didn't get a hiccup.
Now contrast that satisfying learning experience with what one might exect calling in a repair man. Based on my experience with the average quality of technicians today, they probably would have first tried to replace everything that moved -- e.g., "lets' try a new pressure switch" or "how about a new ventor motor" etc... This would take at least two visits since they would of course have to go order and get the part. After paying for their marked-up parts and labor, it might actually have worked for a few days or weeks since just replacing the parts might have shaken things up a bit.. But then the problem would inevitably recurr since they wouldn't have fixed the right thing in the first place. Then they would probably come back to the house a couple of more times, each time replacing a new part or so. Finally, they would try to convince me to buy a new furnace since they would then claim that the problem is a common defect with the model with no solution and since it is out of warrantee the only choice is to replace the entire furnace... Sigh... I know the story well and have seen how it ends...
We got PJM we got Bubba we got troll we got disruption
| | No thanks to some of the "pros" here, but I fixed the problem myself. |
Just wondering how far you would have got without the advise from some of the more obliging people in here?
I'd get that OCD problem of yours checked.... you do know there is medication for it.... don't you?
"Justin" <\\> writes:

If you read the post, you would see that I thanked people for their contribution -- even mentioning two people by name.
What I meant is that I didn't need to call in a "tech" which is what about a dozen people felt they needed to say repeatedly in rather foul language.

WTF r u talking about? I thought you had a serious comment...
posted for all of us...

Oh he KNOWS but he's got a lot more problems than that....

I have had the same problem with HVAC elitism. The best thing you can do is educate yourself and others about your fix which is exactly what you did. The HVAC elite are more interested in their pocketbook than actually helping the general public.
snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

You are one stupid SOB... I walked through the debri of what used to be a Do it yourselfer home yesterday. 2 dead adults and 2 chldren. In this extreme cold weather.. the equipment takes quite a beating. So I really suggest up to date equipment and professional maintenance. And I really could care less which trained/licensed/Insured Tech you utilize. Here, if the Fire Marshal catches you fucking with your furnace..he fines you and then turns you over to the jurisdictions Building services people. Fines run about $300 a code and safety violation and usually find about 9 or 10.= Approx $3,000.. And the Judges don't bargain on safety violations. You can of course get a permit after passing a HVAC homeowners exam. After which it is inspected before you can use it. So Shithead...Are you going to be safe or sorry? And don't call me..I am busy... And the lads we send out cost us about $2,000 each this year alone upgrading their technical education. I don't suppose it ever occurred to a Moron like you, why there is such a shortage of HVAC personal in America.. Its a 24 hour a day job... and Holidays are a thing of the past. The education curve takes in Electronic, Electric, Low and high pressure plumbing, international fuel gas codes, not to mention it is damned hard work. I do understand they are accepting Amateur HVAC experts like yourself in Iraq right now for $160,000 to $240,000 per annum. Most of us are too busy to go and aren't smart enough to commit suicide by either insurgents bullet Or Amateur Furnace Jobs!

don't
Well, your being too busy to respond is a blessing, though it's amazing that you "postal" sounding hvac techs have all this time for newsgroups, not to help or anything, just as a place to use all the vile language you learned in your widdle techie school. You people are just laughable.
Cheri
"Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote in message

Hey Cheri:
Where's the pictures of your tits?

Dont bother. She said she was old. We dont need to see those hangers. Bubba
old. We dont need to see those hangers.

At least she's seen her equipment in the past ten years. Unlike you.
Steve

LOL, now that's funny. :-)
"Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote in message

TY. I thought you'd like it.
Steve

It's your attitude and your inability to see what an ass you are that makes me repair my own furnace, and pass along knowledge to others. My hope is to make as many HVAC scum bags unemployed as I can. My apologies to the decent HVAC tech's, but you are not one of them.

And you are one arrogant MFer. Get a clue, a lot of DIYers are actually more competent and intelligent that the so called pros, what makes them pros is charging people for their service, not some alleged level of expertise. What makes DIYers out of customers is bad experience with these pros. When someone charges you $80 to tell you they don't have a clue, you begin to think; I already don't have a clue, $80 saved. With a little research, one can easily become familiar with any system, and with a few successes, competent to perform at least rudimentary repairs. The reason a lot of things are illegal to repair is simply lobbyists convincing lawmakers to protect tradesmen, rather than the public by and large being incompetent.

So, providing a link to the where and when should not be a problem, right?
Let's see it.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

Don't hold your breath waiting.
If there was an incident, I'd be willing to bet it was a "professional" installation.

No matter. IF it was a fatality, and IF this is a true story, there will be a record somewhere that is easy to cite.
IF being the keyword.
Steve

    Fuck off.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com /