Fuel oil leg replacement-Any tips?

I will be replacing the legs on my home heating oil tank. It's 275 gallons and located in my basement. The legs are rusted badly, one missing the bottom 2". The tank is leaning on a cast iron soil pipe against a wall. Is there an easy way to do this? A verbal quote from a contractor was "about $200". Here are my plans: Make 1 or 2 jacks out of angle iron, all-thread, nuts and bolts to attach to the leg brackets. The leg brackets already have 2 holes in each. Wait until it is 1/4 full. Shut off the heater, close the valve on the tank. Jack up the tank. Remove old rusty legs.(I hope they come out easily) Install new legs. Legs on valve end 1" shorter than the other end.
Any other ideas or suggestions? Thanks, MikeH
For 200 pay a contractor it could fall killing someone. The tank weighs 100lb 70 gal of fuel apx 550lb, 650 lb could cause alot of damage falling. Wait till it has less fuel.
"Mike H" <1newsATstelliteDOTmailshellDOTcom> wrote in message

Sounds like you have a problem with something other than the legs. Unless your's is different, those legs are made from thick black iron pipe. If there is any rust on them, it's probably just surface rust. If the tank is leaning, it's probably the brackets going bad (bending and about to snap next time you get a load).
If you INSIST on changing the legs (thinking that will solve the problem):
Spray the legs with penitrating oil. Get them good and wet. Then be careful when you do it.
I can remember doing it one time and one of the brackets broke off the tank completely when we tried to get the leg off. That's a good sign you need a new tank...

I think someone put the wrong type in because they are surely rusted at the bottom of 3 legs, one not even touching the concrete floor. I will be sure to put black iron in when I change them.
I am going to wait to spray them with penetrating oil because I am concerned that the oil may help the rusted portion of the legs become weaker.
The brackets look ok, are not bent at all. The tank is painted.
I would get a new tank, but with the cost of oil rising so fast I may decide to switch to another fuel. I guess if a bracket does come off though I will be buying a new tank. Thanks, MikeH
"Mike H" <1newsATstelliteDOTmailshellDOTcom> wrote in message

There is an product at my local steel store, Capitol Metals in Tempe AZ. that is Boxed channel. The channel has holes every 1/2" or so and they will nest inside of each other. Might be easier than the angle iron. Better check to see that your connection to the furnace/boiler is flexible enough for what you have in mind.

It's copper, I am hoping that it is flexible enough. It's holding ok so far I am hoping it will go back up. I do have a flaring tool handy if it needs a new end on it or if I have to repair some of the line.
I am thinking of using 1/4" thick angle iron and 1/2" all-thread for the jacks. The oil weighs allot. I may have to let the oil level go down more. Someone else mentioned it would be about 650 lbs at 1/4 full. Thanks, MikeH
"Mike H" <1newsATstelliteDOTmailshellDOTcom> wrote:

That is it, pay the man. Think of what happens if something goes wrong. An oil spill could be a real problem($$).
I'm not there to see, but what came to mind to me was to buy some pressure treated lumber, and custom build yourself a support frame of some kind under the tank. I've never done this, and I'm just thinking out loud.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

How about some 3" PVC coated Kindorf or B-Line channel, and 2 of the biggest mother f-in pipe straps ever seen by mankind? =:-)

snipped-for-privacy@aol.comjunkbloc (HaHaHa) wrote in message
How old is the tank? If it's old enough for the legs to have rusted away, I'd be concerned about what condition the rest of the tank is in. It's more common for these to fail from leaks from water rusting away the inside of the tank, rather than the legs. Most likely, the whole thing should be replaced.

The tank is 35 years old and is in the basement. The floor gets wet a few times every year. So I am hoping that since it's inside there would be little or no condensation to help rust the inside of the tank.
I have seen some tubs that are designed to fit under the tank and hold about 20 gallons. It's for slow leaks I suppose. I'll probably put one of those under it. MikeH