Frugal day bed?

Id like to take a twin size mattress I have and make a daybed out of it in my loft style apartment (read small) so as to provide sitting space and spare bed for company.

However daybed frames are outrageously priced it seems!

Anyway to make a daybed frame?

Also, does anyone out there own a daybed and how well does it work as per above?

Reply to
me

snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Murphy bed. DAGS. I am in the process of using the pretty good instructions of the create a bed people at

Han

Know anybody that sews? Buy some STIFF foam slabs, and make a thick wedge-shaped cushion to sit on top of the bed the long way, to serve as a backrest. Cover it in fabric, and make a throw for the bed itself out of the same fabric. If you want to pretty things up, build a tall box frame to hold some of those flat storage boxes underneath, and create a spot to stash the bed pillows and such during the day. I saw multiple articles detailing all this decades ago in the DIY magazines, to put in a den so it could do double-duty as a guest room. If you don't look too hard, it sort of looks like a couch when company is over.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

However daybed frames are outrageously priced it seems!

Define outrageous. I see them from 150$ or so and up at Amazon.con.

Easy if you have some skills.

Had them several times. Made a few out of spare parts. Just add big cushions to the back to make it look like a sofa.

Reply to
cshenk

You're simply describing a large Futon (viz.)

Reply to
HeyBub

Viz? I thought futons had thin crummy matresses, that would roll up. Isn't she going to use a better mattress?

Reply to
mm

"mm" wrote "HeyBub" wrote: me wrone

Still waiting to see her priceline. I googled some very nice ones in the

250$ range. Wood type, look more like a sofa.

Easy for those of us who know tools. Need to know what you know already.

Nope, she means a daybed. Not same.

Above, she has a regular twin.

Reply to
cshenk

Just to clarify, what do you define as a "daybed"? Do you have a frame and spring for the twin matt.?

Reply to
norminn

And I forgot....by the time you spend money for extra pillows, frame, you can probably buy either a low-price chair or loveseat that convert to bed, or a futon that converts. I would ck. garage sales and goodwill.

Reply to
norminn