Single size Wall bed

Hi all, I live in a small studio flat, I would like to have or make a, single bed that folds up against the wall.

I have sent for brochures from several firms, but they seem to start from £900 plus as I live on the Isle of Wight, £300 to send it over.

Is it possible to obtain the pivot and other special parts required?

Thanks, mick cant

Reply to
mickcant

Just finished making the same type of bed for the youngest, a big novelty for her, and it was made with a sheet of 18 mm plywood a few sheets of Conti-Board to make the unit, like a wardrobe, and a few lengths of 110 mm by 50 mm dressed timber and some 12 mm bolts with nuts and washers.

Obtained a single mattress and used it as a template for the sizes I needed. Built the Conti-Board unit just bigger than the mattress all round, with a couple of straps of the 110 mm by 50 mm timbers across the back to keep it from falling over side ways, one near the top and one near the bottom.

I weigh nearly 15 stones and it take me and the daughter jumping on it like a trampoline, so I'm quite confident that it ain't gonna collapse on her.

Just sit back and think how you would make a big board swivel up into your wardrobe and you'll get the idea.

Good luck and happy sawing. :-))

Reply to
BigWallop

Many thanks, "Big Wallop", is the point of the pivot difficult to get right?

mick cant.

Reply to
mickcant

Not really Mick. The depth of the cabinet determines the length of what can fit inside as a head end. The pivot point will be just inside the doors anyway you do it, but I would remind you to not rely to much in thin cabinet sides to take any weight and always place a strong enough leg of some kind, somewhere near the corners of the bed part.

Reply to
BigWallop

Many thanks, Big Wallop and Andrew.

mick cant.