Front loading washing machines

I am looking into buying a front loading washing machine , An was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what type to buy? Has anyone had any problems with them and if so what type ? Is it worth it to spend the extra money? Thanks in advance

Reply to
Me

I can't speak for other brands/models but my mom and I both have a set of the Maytage Neptunes. Both of us love them and haven't had any problems. She's had hers for around 3 years and I've had mine for about

6 m> I am looking into buying a front loading washing machine , An was wondering
Reply to
blue

Top loaders may save some water and energy, but expensive to buy and repair. And, they don't get the clothes any cleaner than the traditonal washers. There are a few top-loaders that scored higher than front-loaders in saving water and energy. Front loaders tend to be quieter than top loaders and recently gained more popularity. See CR article about this.

Reply to
Phisherman

The #1 rated front load washer rated by CR is the Kenmore HE3t, and we have owned them for just over a year. Before that we had the smaller Frigidaire model that you see everywhere under many labels. Front load washers not only clean better and use way less resources, they are also much easier on your clothes. The best example is how much lint is in the dryer screen after just one load. It is amazing! On a top load washer the dryer lint is pretty heavy whereas the front load is barely noticable. This is because there is no agitator thrashing your clothes..Yes they are more expensive, but you get more capacity, better cleaning, usually quieter and they don't have expensive transmissions to fail, therefore are supposed to last longer. The only drawback I see is they are a bit less convienient to load and do require "HE" detergent. But they use so much less soap it really doesn't matter.... John

Reply to
John

Visit

for a completely different approach. Their top loader is more efficient than front loaders for a variety of well thought out reasons.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

So warranty is now up. Look out for it breaking. I use my HE3t very seldom, however the computer board still went bad at 14 months. They want $500 to replace it. I figure I only did 70 loads before it went bad.

This has nothing to do with no agitator. It is simply a function of how long the clothes are in the dryer. The front loader spins out the water much better. So less drying time.

No harder than loading a dryer.

You don't have to. You can use regular detergent, just use half as much as it says.

Don .

Reply to
Don Wiss

That's one reason I bought a washer with a mechanical timer instead of a computer board.

[snip]

Much harder to load than a dryer -- the door is only about 12 inches across, and the rubber seal is in the way (on a Frigidaire or Electrolux or Gibson or White.) Still, it's only an annoyance.

I use regular detergent at half the normal rate, except when I'm washing some thing really filthy; then I use a Purex tablet, which is HE. The Purex tablets are inexpensive enough you could use them for everything, but I stock up on brand name detergents when they are *really* cheap.

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Just because an appliance has a rotary control does not necessarily mean it doesn't have *any* electronic controls in it. In fact if it is an at all current front load washer model, you can be pretty much guaranteed it does.

Moreover, one compact model has a rotary (mechanical feel) control dial mounted directly onto an electronic board (out os dight). Owner's seldom know it's an electronic at all (unless it fails).

JFYI

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

One compact washer model has a rotary (mechanical feel) control dial mounted directly onto an electronic board (which is *out of sight*). Owner's seldom know it's an electronic control at all (unless it fails).

JFYI

Dan O.

Reply to
Dan O.

I had a Maytag Neptune for 6 years and gave it to my parents when they moved to the area. Bought a Sears Kenmore (Whirlpool) HE3T to replace it because it is slightly bigger. Both are great machines. THe first Sears unit had to be replaced because of major problems but the replacement is fine. (Sears sent their best repair guy and he was skeptical about my complaints.... but then found even more problems and said it had to go.)

Reply to
Art Begun