Front loading washing machines

Interesting, a safety device that can kill you.

When my kids were playing hide and seek one day, my son got stuck in the washing machine, a top loader. The tub shifted on him and he could not get out. Laughable now, but it was not at the time.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Exactly. Also, since there is less water in the machine, the water/soap solution is more concentrated. Also, the front loaders are very quiet compared to the top loaders, especially during the wash cycle.

-

"They are waging a campaign of murder and destruction. And there is no limit to the innocent lives they are willing to take... men with blind hatred and armed with lethal weapons who are capable of any atrocity... they respect no laws of warfare or morality." -bu$h describing his own illegal invasion of Iraq.

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." -- Martin Luther King Jr.

"God told me to strike at al Qaeda and I struck them. And then he instructed me to strike at Saddam, which I did." -- George W. Bush

"Hence today I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord." -- Adolf Hitler

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." -- Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

Reply to
Hank

we've had the kenmore stackable front loaders for near a year now.. I'll never go back to a top loader. the washer and dryer both are much more efficient. Of course, we make sure there are no kids inside when we use them.. geesh!!

Reply to
david

check that.. ours is a whirlpool

Reply to
david

When did the first front loaders come out? I recall my mother replacing the old wringer washer with a Bendix front load about 1950 or so.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Actually I understand the newer dryers are no more efficient than the old ones, but the front loaders spin at a higher speed and the clothes come drier to start with so the dryer does not need to work as hard.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Yes, it's true generally, but I had a Hitachi top-loader washing machine that spun as fast as today's front loaders. When it died after 17 years, I got a Maytag Atlantis top-loader and was quite disappointed with the spin speed, clothes comes out much wetter than with the Hitachi. Can't get a front-loader though, not enough space in front to open a door.

Reply to
jstp

My parents bought a new house in 1947 with a Bendix front load "builder installed." I recall that it was bolted to the floor in a corner of the kitchen, and when it went into its wringer cycle at the end it shook the room -- that's why it was bolted to the floor I guess. My mother loved it; her first automatic washing machine.

Reply to
Tom Miller

Comical, isn't it.

The newest "innovations" are often rehashed ideas.

The front loaders were just abandoned by the manufacturers in the 60's when you were supposed to "live better electricly" with all new power sucking toys, right down to having electrical swizzle sticks.

People wanted lots of clean water to wash with, and front loaders wouldn't hold as much as top loaders.

Electricity and water was cheap, we were all going to own "flying cars" and the only talk of ozone was at the amusement park where the bumper cars were.

Sigh ! Am I just getting old ?

Reply to
Amun

On Wed 17 Aug 2005 07:25:44p, Edwin Pawlowski wrote in alt.home.repair:

Bendix held patents for front loaders at least as early as the mid-1930s, but production was virtually non-existent during WWII. It wasn't until after the war that production and sales of automatic home laundry equipment grew dramatically. The Westinghouse Laudromat was a major competitor beginning in the mid-1940s.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 17 Aug 2005 07:25:44p, Edwin Pawlowski wrote in alt.home.repair:

Ed, you might enjoy this site. Lot's of vintage stuff and restorations.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 27 Aug 2005 01:50:00a, Wayne Boatwright wrote in alt.home.repair:

Oops, sorry, Ed.

Wayne Boatwright

The 1938 Bendix looks pretty much like the one my mother had in 1947. Not exactly the same if my memory serves (I was 5 years old) but very close. Round, tube-like machine with a short base.

I think there were no metal panels on the sides, however, just a front panel and it may have not been black. Looked very industrial, with bolts and frame showing, although I doubt this was a design feature in

1947. Maybe to save on scarce metal right after the big wartime demand.

You poured detergent in the hole in the top. I'm pretty sure the machine was bolted to the kitchen floor. You had to bend over almost to the floor to open the door and put in clothing. No dryers in those days at our house, but the house came from the builder with a clothesline in the back yard and the washer installed.

Reply to
Tom Miller

On Sat 27 Aug 2005 10:04:13a, Tom Miller wrote in alt.home.repair:

Like this one, Tom?

Wayne Boatwright

Yeah, that's the one I was referring to.

Reply to
Tom Miller

On Sun 28 Aug 2005 09:28:29a, Tom Miller wrote in alt.home.repair:

That's a really neat old machine! When our washing machine died, I can remember going a couple of times with my mom to a laundromat where they had a row of those machines.

Another interesting oldie... Back in the 1930s and 40s many large apartment buldings had "drying rooms" adjacent to the room where similar washers were installed. Clothes were hung on lines in traditional fashion, then the room was closed and hot air was pumped into the room until the clothes were dry.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

We have a Maytag Neptune front loader and it does do a better job cleaning, holds a ton of laundry ( three boys under ten) . It is gentler on clothes than any top loader we've had including Maytag . However we have noticed black mold growing on the door seal and treat it regularly with Sol-u-mel to control it. Having said this we just received notice of a class action lawsuit against Maytag as a result of mold, defective motors ( had ours replaced with a new and better motor under warranty) and defective door latches.This may or may not influence your decision on Maytag but front loaders are definitely worth the extra price in our opinion

Reply to
David Van Nort