Front Door bottom insulation sweep woes

Ok, heres the deal ;^) Have a 1970's entry door with sidelights. Wanted to replace but cant afford at moment. Instead, rebuild for one more year: replaced sidelight glass with smokes, tore out door stops and rebuilt with new insulation strips, repainted. Looks great and sides seal great.

My problem is the bottom of the door where the door bottom is supposed to seal against the threshold. Cant find anything that fits he irregularities of this spot. The wood threshold had no rubberized seal: relyies on the door bottom seal. However, this is an older

1970's metal door, that had a metal bracket with tripple row rubber seals on it. Those have long since disintegrated. The other problem is that the gap on the botom of the door decreases as you go from the hinge side toward lock side. I cant find anything that will allow the door to close well. Anything small enough for the lock side is to small for the hinge side letting air in.

Is there any specilaty products or solutions for this type of issue. Nothing at the DIY Home Deopt type stores seems to address this kinf on lack of uniformity.

Thanks Todd

Reply to
Todd W. Roat

How about something like this from Lowes?

over door bottom (1-3/4" thick door) and screws to face of door.

Reply to
willshak

Get a (felt, brush, or rubber) wiper thing that mounts to the face of the door instead of under it. and mount it with the door closed, to align with the doorsill, not the door. (inside, outside, or both)

Reply to
default

Thanks for the reply, but no. Tried that first. Because the gap between the bottom of my metal door and the threshold narrows by about

1/4 inch over the span, th elow end binds before door closes all the way. Thought about trimming this down, but that would be a bit tough.

Thanks for the reply.

Reply to
Todd W. Roat

Use this one, instead. Or trim the damn door.

Reply to
default

Hi, I have one like that on my 4 season sun room door. it is mounted on the bottom of door outside and works very well. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Sheesh, relax.

Reply to
Todd W. Roat

If you're good with wood, you might be able to shim the bottom of the door. Cut the shim using a table saw and glue it to the bottom of the door with construction adhesive. If you cut it a bit wide, you can sand it back flush to each side of the door and then paint the door so the shim doesn't show. (You'd want to prime the wood first.) Once you have a level bottom you can use a commercial sweep. That should hold until you get a new door.

Todd W. Roat ( snipped-for-privacy@uc.edu) writes:

-- "For it is only of the new one grows tired. Of the old one never tires."

-- Kierkegaard, _Repetition_

James Owens, Ottawa, Canada

Reply to
James Owens

See if hinge screws are tight in door or frame,or hinges are worn. But there are thresholds you can adjust angle with screws under the rubber. Also relpacement inserts for your door are probably still avalaible.

Reply to
m Ransley