fridge water shuts off too slowly

whenever i get a glass of water from the fridge dispenser, after you remove the glass it takes a full second for the water to stop. and it seems to be slowly getting longer. its long enough that if you just pull the glass away when done it squirts water all over.
the fridge came with my house and its about 10 years old. its never just shut right off and youve always had to wait like a split second before pulling the glass away. and it seems to be getting longer and longer before it does so right when you get used to how long it should take, it takes just a bit longer...
is this the norm? or is there an easy fix? ive cleaned the mechanism as best i can without disassembling the fridge door and it didnt help at all.
randy

remove
be
away
before
just
Look up under there, IIRC there's a switch to keep kids from messing with it--might be half cocked or something ??
--
SVL

just
all.
i dont see any such switch. the only switch is the one that triggers the water. even if i dont use the 'lever' and just press the switch directly it still takes a while to shut off. my best guess is that the valve that closes may be getting clogged hence closing more slowly. we do have hard water..
if it were just like this all the time it would be managable but the fact that its slowly getting longer and longer is very annoying..
thx randy

glass
takes
as
with
it
I just looked at ours, a whirlpool--theres a lockout switch in addition to the lever, but its electric.
My bets on a clogged screen or the is valve giving you problems.
--

SVL

seems
before
longer
mechanism
at
the
directly
hard
fact
ill tear into it when it bugs me just a bit more. im pretty sure the valve isnt closing properly due to deposits or wear.
randy

Hi,
Model#?
Low water presure can prevent the fill valve from closing properly, bad fill valve can also do this....least common but does happen is a bad water reservoir tank ( breathing/flexing or cracked ) and air in the tank will cause water flow after the glass has been removed. Normally if the switch in the dispensor is sticking the water will flow all the time or be intermittant on keepign power sent ot the fill valve when the glass has been removed.