Freezer Temperature Problem

We have a Frigidaire 16 cubic foot frost-free upright freezer. Most of the time it will maintain a -10°F. temperature. Periodically, perhaps every 6 months or so, the temperature rises to between 10-20° above 0°F. If I remove the contents and allow the freezer to stand empty with the door open for 24 hours, when I power it up again, it will return to the -10°F. temperature and maintain that again for at least 6 months.

Any ideas on what may be cause this?

TIA

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Frost-free means that it periodically heats up enough to thaw any ice off of the cooling coils. Are you sure that you are not just sometimes observing it during its self defrost cycle? Although, it could be that the thermostat is getting frosted up or something if it is for a prolonged period of time.

Reply to
David Efflandt

The most likely cause is that you didn't shut the door properly the day before the problem. Probably a plastic sack of frozen food was sticking over the gasket or you crammed too much in and the door didn't close all the way and that failure on your part let in heat and moisture. That iced up your coils much more than your defrost cycle could handle so from then on your coils never defrost. Eventually there is complete obstruction by the ice.

Learn to clear your gasket area when you shut the fridge and all will be well.

Reply to
JimL

Oh pshaw, on Tue 04 Jul 2006 02:19:28a, David Efflandt meant to say...

I wish that was the problem. It's not the frost-free feature causing this. I've checked the temperature regularly and it never goes lower than 10 degrees above zero when it's having this problem.

Perhaps the thermostat is the culprit.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Oh pshaw, on Tue 04 Jul 2006 04:27:10a, JimL meant to say...

I don't think this is the problem. I'm obsessive about making sure the door is closed completely. In fact, when the door is first closed it's almost as though the box is pulling a vacuum, as the door cannot be opened at all for a few seconds.

I suppose it's possible that the coils are iced up, though I'm not sure what caused it. That would seem logical, though, since giving the whole unit a chance to stand open for 24 hours seems to correct the problem.

This has happened several times and always at about the 6th month mark.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

This is almost definitely a frost/icing problem. You just need to figure out why it is frosting excessively or not defrosting properly. Could even be a clogged drain for the defrost water if it has one. Could be a leaky gasket allowing excess moisture inside but not likely since you say it seems to vacuum seal when closed. Could be an improper defrost cycle due to bad timer, heater or defrost thermostats. See if you can find out how it is supposed to defrost. Could also be due to inadequate airflow caused by partial blockage or sticking fan bearings. Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

Oh pshaw, on Tue 04 Jul 2006 07:43:45p, Don Young meant to say...

Thanks, Don. You've given me several targets to focus on.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Sounds like incomplete defrost.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Oh pshaw, on Tue 04 Jul 2006 08:35:52p, Stormin Mormon meant to say...

Thanks! Looks like I have a lot of checking to do.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Let us know if you want some more ideas.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Wayne.

I keep two thermometers in my fridge. One on the freezer side and one on the milk side. A rubber band holds the thermometer to the jar of olives so it is upright and easy to read, every time I open the door.

About twice a year, I open the door and find the temp reading 48 degrees or so. I immediatetly drag a large box or ice chest into the kitchen and dump the freezer contents into the box. Then remove the shelves (6 screws). Then remove the back panel over the hidden coil (6 screws). I grab the hair dryer and put it on high and start melting the ice over the coils. About 25 minutes later the last of the ice fall to bottom of the freezer and I put it all back together and go another 6 months before someone crams too much stuff into the freezer making the door fail to shut properly.

Reply to
JimL

Oh pshaw, On Wed 05 Jul 2006 07:38:58a, JimL was muttering about...

All good points, Jim. Thanks! This is a freezer only, and I don't think it's a door problem, but the result is the same. I'll be thawing it out in a day or so and it should be fine for another 6 months. I just wish I could eliminate the problem.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright