Stamped Concrete Driveway Peeling

We had a new driveway put in about a month ago. The concrete itself had color mixed in, a light beige. After it was poured, it had a light coating of a darker colored "release" powder put over it, and I believe it was there as the stamping was happening. After the concrete was cured, the "release" powder was pressure-washed off. The "release" power was from Davis, and I believe it was just a different color of powder that is used to color concrete. After several days, a seal coat of Davis W-1000 clear concrete coating was applied (2 coats).

After 2 weeks, we parked a car overnight on the driveway, and the tires left their treadmarks when the vehicle was moved the next day. The seal cote AND the release color peeled away, revealing the lighter concrete color. A few nights later, we parked a different car in a different part of the driveway and the same thing happened.

Any ideas why this is happening and what can be done to prevent further damage ?

Reply to
sjsherratt

Italian

I agree, something went very wrong here. I also very much doubt anything can be done to save what's happening from occuring to the rest of it. With the sealer and color beneath coming off after 2 weeks, some mistake was made during the work. Best case is that the release was not completely removed before sealing, but the most troubling part though that indicates this isn't the problem is that apparently all the surface color is lifiting, leaving only the uniform concrete pour.

What does the contractor say? Did you check this guy out, with references, see his other work? How much per foot did this cost?

I'd start taking lots of pictures and a video if possilble, for evidence. I would also consider paying another expert contractor or two opinions.

Reply to
trader4

You hired a hack, were his name initials BH, well if your lucky he has wealth you can attach after you win in court.

Reply to
m Ransley

Thanks all for the input. To answer "Italian" .....

The driveway was laid in 4 pours over the period of a week due to the size of the overall job, and the window of opportunity for handling the stamping. The release was left on for 7-10 days. To remove it, a high pressure (water) washer was used. The weather conditions during the entire period was warm & sunny - 80's during the day, 50's at night, some clouds in the AM - typical California semi-coastal summer pattern. No rain. The seal coat was applied approximately 1 week after the end of the last pour. It was applied using a pump type garden sprayer.

One other item of note is that the temperature on the days the peeling occured was in the 90's, and the concrete was hotter still. I don't know if the heat may have been responsible for some kind of reaction/adhesion between the tire rubber and the seal coat.

The contractor who performed the work is experienced, has good references and I've seen his work. He has also done work for us before. It's not a situation where I want to threaten him as I want to give him a chance to make this right, which I believe he will. I just want to try to understand the possible technical possiblities, things to try, possible mitigation, which you have provided. Thanks for the input, and any other suggestions please post.

Thanks again.

Reply to
sjsherratt