Free up stuck garbage disposal motor (how?)

My undersink garbage disposal motor wasn't used for a few months and now just hums.
I reset the red button but it still just hums.
Is there a way to free it up? I seems stuck.
LM wrote:

Two ways:
1. On the bottom there should be a hex nut that, with the proper tool, can be turned to free the machine.
2. If no nut - or you don't have the proper tool (available at the box stores) - you can stick a broom handle in the business end and pry the innards into rotating.
HeyBub wrote:

As far as I remember they come with an Allen key to manually turn the thing and unjam. I always keep one next to it under the sink. If you don't have original tool, find one in proper size.
LM wrote:

Some disposers have a wrench socket on the bottom so you can turn the motor with a hex style (Allen) wrench.
If not, what I have done is use a broomstick or plunger handle. Stick it down the drain and use it to break loose a jam.
Take appropriate precautions, and good luck

On some models, there is a 9/16" iirc nut on top of the spinner. A socket on a long extension through the top and you can turn it in the opposite direction. Do not know which way they made the threads on there, so be careful and don't remove the spinner.
Steve
LM wrote:

I use a flashlight and a pair of long needle nose pliers. It's usually a bone or penny jammed inside. You can back it up with the pliers and take out the problem. You need a good light. Don't turn it on with tools inside.
On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 18:08:52 -0500, Van Chocstraw

Bones and pennies in a garbage disposal?
I'm gonna have nightmares.

Some people learned nothing from Fargo.
Red Green wrote:

down with hand and got the fins inside to turn by force. Also recall that there is a central nut (at least on some units) that you can use a socket and extension to turn. Once it begins to turn problem was fixed
paul

I use a wooden dowel. But I don't put bones or coins in the disposal,either.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

Kid do though.
Van Chocstraw wrote:

Put kids in the disposal? Makes perfect sense to me.
TDD

"You should see the other guy!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6OR71VU010

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 18:08:52 -0500, Van Chocstraw

In this case it's probably rust.
On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 23:17:16 -0500, mm wrote:

It freed up! I followed the suggestion of using a screwdriver to spin it from the top (through the hole for the drain in the sink). There was no nut on the bottom but a red button I did press.
At first, it made a horrific sound when it ran with water running. Clang clang clang. Then, after a while (maybe 1 minute), it began to hum like in the olden days.
I think it's fixed. Thanks to you guys!