Framing question

I'm planning to build a 16'x24' gambrel barn on a concrete pad. My plans call for a double sill plate. Is there any value in doing this as opposed to a single 2"x4" sill plate? Cost is not a factor. I'm just curious if there is added benefit in this design. It also seems to me that I would cheat the depth the J-bolts can be embedded in the contrete by the extra 1.5" needed to penetrate the second sill plate.
Your thoughts & comments are appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Dave

a single bottom plate would not "tie in" the corners.

of the first plates at the corner joint, then yes, you are right. I did notice that in the plan and liked that effect. Cheers.
One important part you are missing is the fact the you level off the sill plates by installing shims between the two plates. But hey who uses a level these days :-)
Randd01 wrote:

You're smiling - but my experience with my contractor says it's all too true. I don't think his framers bothered with the level, the tape, or even the plans.... it was not a pleasent experience.
Michael
Your right I am smiling. No one takes the time to level and square the the plates and then they wonder why the building is so out of whack when they get the the third floor! Takes too much time to use a level and pull a couple of diagonal tapes. Maybe they could cut their coffee break time down and do it right!

wwan_man wrote:

There might be if you live in a seismically active area. _Fine Homebuilding_ had an article a few years back on lessons learned from the Loma Linda and other quakes. One common cause identified for major structural failure was sill plates shearing and spliting away from the anchor bolts resulting in the structure slipping off the foundation. The conclusion was that thicker sill plates would be benefical. No failures were observed in thicker or doubled plates.
I beefed up my plates when I built based on the article.
If you search the Taunton Press web site you might still be able to view the article.
Michael

That thought had crossed my mind. Don't think Houston is active although we do have shifting soil.
_Fine

I noticed last night when reviewing the plan again that it calls for me to scoop out the second bottom plate to accomodate the nut-end of the bottom plate's j-bolt. The second plate would then be nailed to the bottom one. This looks weird to me. I don't see this as being as strong as a j-bolt connection. I would prefer to use a j-bolt through both plates but that cannibalizes the amount of bolt available to sink into the cement. It doesn't look like I can win. I'll see if I can get the Fine Homebuilding article. Perhaps that will shed some light.
The conclusion was that

Did you j-bolt through both plates or just one?

Thanks.

So use a longer bolt?
--
Jedd Haas - Artist
http://www.gallerytungsten.com

Yes, that would seem the answer but I can't find a supplier. All I can find is 10" eye bolts which I will use if I have to.
wwan_man wrote:

I have a single 4x6 PT sill plate and the J-bolts were plenty long. Can't you get any longer bolts? I think Simpson makes several lengths.
Just make sure you set the bolts accurately so they're centered in your new beefed up plate for maximum strength.
Here's what my contractor tried to get away with on my upgraded sill plate:
http://www.blarg.net/~mburr/sill.jpg (28k)
There were 15 of these with less than 3/4" of wood between the bolts and the edge of the sill plate... kind of defeats upgrading the sill plate to enhance tearout resistance... duh!!
He had a fit when I made him drill and epoxy new bolts - and it all could have been avoided with a 2 min jig made from scrape to place the bolts accurately.
Michael

Don't know Simpson but I'll look for them. I couldn't find any j-bolts locally or on the net except 6". Assuming 3-1/2" for two 2x4s and a little extra for the nut & washer leaves 2-1/2" to lock into the cement. That's not enough. I could only find 10" eye bolts which I'll use if I have to. Cheers.

and found a local dealer. Hopefully, if they don't have an anchor bolt long enough they can order me some. Cheers, Dave
wwan_man wrote:

Your welcome - drop me a short email and let me know how it turns out... I bet you find what you need :^)
Michael
And make that bottom sill plate pressure-treated, with a termite shield.

Do your plans call for single or double top plate? Some gambrels I've seen only had a single top.

It states a double top plate since the trusses are 2' oc and don't match up to the studs in the wall.