Framing a door

Can't remember ... it's been so long. I will be installing a pre-hung 32" wide door in a new wall I plan to build in my basement. How wide and tall do I frame the opening? This is not a supporting wall. Do I need to put a header at the top or will a simple verticle and horizontal 2 x 4 do? Thanks.
I found this link useful when I was looking for the same information:
http://www.doityourself.com/stry/framing
Kevin
46erjoe wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@blah.com wrote:

buy it. I think the norm is 1 1/2" wider than the door, and 3/4" taller, but confirm this when you buy it.
46erjoe wrote:

2-1/2" wider and taller than the nominal door size. For a standard 2'-8" x 6'-8" door, the rough opening is 34-1/2" wide by 6'-10-1/2" tall.
On a nonbearing wall, a 2x4 header is fine. I usually use 2x6, just to be sure. You never know, for sure, if the wall will become loadbearing due to future projects, or storage of heavy items above.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
46erjoe wrote:

by the manufacturer, I think they are way too big for my tastes, I go about 3/4 to one inch larger than the outside measurement.. I attach directly, w/o shims, on the hinge side (Ensure jack stud is perfect first) then just shim on the opposite side. Works for me.