Follow-up on cover for fry-pan.

Chastened by the most of my replies, I went out to buy a used lid for my 7.5 inch frypan. A tour of 2 Goodwills and 2 Salvation Armys found me one at the 3rd stop. It fit pretty well, wobbled a bit, but otoh, my pan doesn't have vertical sides. The side are rounded and taper inwards, so figuring this may be the best I can find, I bought it with its original little teflon-covered pot, for $5. At the 4th store, another Goodwill, I found the exact same lid, except with a different handle, on an all metal Farberware pot.
I will be near two more Goodwill stores over the weekend and I'll keep looking. (There are two other Goodwills I pass by every month or so. Knowing me, I'll look there too.)
Questions: I tested the lid tonight. The first egg's yolk broke. :( Normally I would scramble them after that, but I bravely pressed on. The second egg didn't break. The lid worked well. The white on top didn't sit around uncooked long after the bottom was cooked; and the top of the egg seemed as hot as the bottom when it was time to eat. Hurray.
But I could barely see anything because the inside of the lid steamed up.
1) How to prevent steam-fogged lid?
2) Assuming a lid with a pot or pan it was meant for, how come some lids have a vent hole in them and others don't.
Thanks.
BTW, it was indeed much better to buy at a thrift store than on the web, because I could tell how well it fit. And less than half the price, and with a free little pot.

The lid was probably cool compared to the cooking temperature and steam condensed out. Try preheating the cover with hot water and see if that helps.
On Fri, 8 Jun 2012 20:18:36 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net"

Ah. Sounds like a very good idea. I'll do that. (I was thinking in terms of those liquids one wipes on the bathroom mirror, even though it never worked for me. So I thought someone would suggest vegetable oil or who knows, but your suggestion makes more sense. )
On 06/08/2012 09:18 PM, micky wrote:

Anti-fog products are generally a surfactant, or a soap. As the food you are cooking releases moisture, it condenses on the lid then drips back down into the food.
As you probably don't want soap in your food, I would steer clear of any such product on any item used in food preparation.
Jon
On Sat, 09 Jun 2012 07:41:02 -0700, Jon Danniken

Good point!

On Fri, 8 Jun 2012 20:18:36 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net"

Did I say thanks. Thanks.