Flushed A Cap down Toilet

Once had a toilet overflow one day and work the next, off and on, off and on. Pulled the toilet, kid had dropped a round mirror in and it worked like a valve opening and closing.

It might rust out in 50 yrs if you can wait.

Reply to
m Ransley

Ah, reminds me of my days as a landlord. If the hose doesn't work try the snake from the bottom again. But this time force a wad of newspaper through with the snake to clear the trap.

As an aside Toto makes a great line of toilets and this would be a real good time to look at them :-) Dave

Reply to
Dave Morrison

One more idea:

If not too inconvenient and you've got a strong guy around, can you remove the toilet once again, take it outside and try flushing it out from the bottom with the full flow from a garden hose. That might just blow it out the bowl end of the trap.

A fire hose would be even better, but how are 'ya gonna get the use of one?

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I recently flushed a 2 3/4 " diameter metal cap from a container down my toilet. I tried to grab it during a flush (gross but I tried and I guess I' too old) It is now causing a slow flush and back-up when waste is flushed. I tried a plunger and it seems to help temporarily. I also took off the bowl and snaked from the bottom of the toilet (wax ring end) to the front and could figure out where it is. The hole in the toilet bowl base seems smaller than the cap so I can't imagine it could have gone down the drain pipe. Any thoughts on where it is and how to remove it....

1) If it's in the toilet bowl still (Magnet, special snake?) 2) If if in the drain pipe (Magnet, special snake?)

There is a silver lining (pun intended) My thinking is the cap is metal and will evntually rust out (Don't know when though) and will eventually flush away (Beats plastic). Thoughts from any master plumber or tools I might use?

Reply to
GALIER

[...]

Not likely. If it's steel, it's almost certainly plated with something (chrome, zinc, etc) to prevent its rusting under normal conditions. Yeah, it will rust away eventually, but possibly not in your lifetime, and certainly not before some kinda sh*t gets snagged on it and backs up your toilet.

Note that as it rusts, the snagging problems will get WORSE, not better, because it will change from a nice smooth round surface that things slide readily off of, to a rough, craggy, rusty surface that will snag anything that drifts across it.

Of course, if it isn't steel at all (which is quite possible), it doesn't matter *how* long you wait, it's not going away.

You're dreaming. Sorry.

Magnet on a string, if it's steel.

Closet auger would have a better chance of dislodging it than a normal snake.

Lots of auto parts stores have three-pronged parts grabbers at the end of a two-foot snake. They're great for picking up stuff that you drop in places you can't reach. I have one in my toolbox, and that's actually the *first* tool I'd reach for if I had this problem.

Doug Miller

Well, if you have the toilet removed how much extra trouble is it to take it to the local fire station?

Reply to
Nick Hull

Just make sure you arrive with some type of "donation" or they're likely to remind you that city/town equipment cannot be used for such tasks.

Reply to
Mark

How about using a blower or a shopvac? I don't see the need to using much lower pressure water and making a mess. Some other brilliant poster's idea (that means I agree with him!) was good - stick in some wadded up whatever and then blow/suck that throw if the blower/vac doesn't work by itself (it will).

RicodJour

Few (only the best) have a trap larger than 2" and very few have one

2?". It should be close to the first bend. Under like situations, I find or make a number of various "tools" to try and grab it. You will not be able to push it through so you will need to pull it out. A hooked stiff wire might do the job. Finding someone with a small hand and agile fingers may do the job.

Maybe this is God's message to you telling you it is time for a new toilet.

Good Luck.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I'd start with a strong "neodymium" magnet attached to a good string. Flush and see where it sticks.

Reply to
HotRod

Excellent use!

RicodJour

Why don't you quit fooling around with it and go to Menard's and get a new one on sale? They don't cost that much.

Reply to
Sam

Get an old fashioned mop head. Remove it from the handle.

Remove the toilet once again. Tie a rope to one end of the mop.

Snake the rope through the toilet and then force the mop and hopefully the lid back out. If the lid gets turned sideways it may not work. Eventually the lid will get positioned correctly and come out.

Reply to
tnom

Probably stick to the cast iron toilet bowl?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've never seen a toilet made of cast iron. Have you?

Doug Miller

Most of the toilets I've seen are porcelan coated.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I doubt that. I imagine most of the toilets you've seen are made entirely of porcelain.

Doug Miller

Just pictures-

Reply to
tm