flooring problems

I have to replace some flooring in a bathroom and bedroom because of small leak in the wall. Floor joists are fine. I plan to use 1/2 " plywood for subfloor but not sure about floor. The bedroom old floor was particle board and the bathroom was 3/4 inch plywood. I will be putting sheet vinyl on the bathroom floor. I went to home depot and they did not have particle board and said that they now stock OSB instead. It looks like thick chip or wafer board to me. One side smooth and edges are tongue and groove. Will this work in both places. I also intend to install an access panel to the plumbing where the leak that started this project began. I am an amature but have to do it myself. Any help will be appreciated.
mcred2 wrote:

Hi, OSB is widely used now.
both particle board and OSB really ought to be avoided in wet situations as they do not hold up to water well. i'd recommend 3/4" plywood in the bathroom. OSB would be fine in the bedroom.
I have to replace some flooring in a bathroom and bedroom because of small leak in the wall. Floor joists are fine. I plan to use 1/2 " plywood for subfloor but not sure about floor. The bedroom old floor was particle board and the bathroom was 3/4 inch plywood. I will be putting sheet vinyl on the bathroom floor. I went to home depot and they did not have particle board and said that they now stock OSB instead. It looks like thick chip or wafer board to me. One side smooth and edges are tongue and groove. Will this work in both places. I also intend to install an access panel to the plumbing where the leak that started this project began. I am an amature but have to do it myself. Any help will be appreciated.

I agree and to take it a step further I would use exterior glue plywood in the bathroom and paint the entire sheet (Both sides and edges) with exterior primer.
marson wrote:

Let me agree with that.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Just in case you missed the first two posts,
Let me say I agree with them both.
Colbyt
mcred2 wrote:

OSB, particle boards, wafer board and similar products act like a sponge if they get wet. Use plywood. Try the blue store of the orange store doesn't have it or try a lumberyard.