Flickering Lights

Hello, From time to time, the lights on two of my electric circuits flicker at the same time and to the same degree of intensity; other lights on other circuits are not affected. When this happens, the load within the house does not change (no AC units coming on, etc.) and the bulbs are all tight. I have not checked to see the breakers to these circuits are wired tightly but they appear to be set into the buss bars correctly because they sit within the panel cover the way they should. So, some type of voltage drop appears to be occurring on these circuits. Can bad (old) breakers cause this type of fluctuation? Other ideas? Thanks! D. MacQueen
Flickering is generally caused by loose connections, which can occur anywhere along the circuit from the breaker to the end of the chain. You need to check the neutral wiring as well as the hot

How about whan a truck rolls by or you walk heavily around the house or wind blows strongly.
Might these two circuits share the same 12-3 Romex cable? In that case they would share the same neutral wire and that is what may be loose.
Alternatively, they may both go to a double (two- half sized) breaker in which case they are on the same breaker (body not switch) and would share the same contact to the bus bar. If you have an open slot, move the breaker to this position. Arcing between the bus bar and breaker contact will erode the metal and result in an intermittant contact. You need to replace and move the breaker if that is the case. Listen for a buzzing in the box while the light flicker and that would support this theory.

In addition to what others have said, it is possible that bad circuit breakers are the cause although not always likely except with certain brands. In my area of New Jersey there are several condo developments built by one particular builder that are notorious for defective circuit breakers. I think that they were originally made by ITE which is no longer around. They are identified as the thin type and the bus connection is a hook on the left or right side of the breaker.
Sorry for the individual posts saying "Thanks", I am new at this, but I do appreciate everyone's help! Thanks again to all.

If you really want to show your appreciation, tell us what the end result was. Where did you find the problem and how did you correct it? It is rare that we find out what happened after we give out all that helpful advice.
If you have the electric skill, tighten all the neutrals and grounds in your circuit panel. Sometimes that makes some really strange effects. If you don't know what I'm talking about, print this off and show it to your electrician.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

im thinking loose connection. Check all the connections that lead up to those lights. probably a wire in a wire nut somewhere thats not tight enough.
--
Thank you,

On 6 Apr 2006 15:36:45 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Another thing to check... What else is on the circuit? I have bathroom lights that flicker. The cause? ... a 1500 watt electric heater in the adjacent bedroom.
I don't think there is anything grossly wrong with the wiring. The electrician who wired my house did use the the backstabber's connection on the outlet however. Not the way I'd do it.
Personally, I think the backstab wiring method should be banned.
Beachcomber