ductless exhaust fans

Hi all,

Our basement bath doesnt have an exhaust fan yet. It has a big window though. So, we open it up in summer and dont have a big issue with moisture and smell. But, living in new england, we have a pretty long winter and have a difficult time taking a hot bath in this bathroom.

I am worried about breaking up the ceiling to do the duct work for a proper exhaust fan. Would a ductless exhaust fan work in this bath ? This is not a big room and it has a shower. Do you guys have any suggestions ?

Thanks.

Reply to
mega_metal_maniac

It will remove smells as long as you maintain its filter but it will be useless against moisture.

Perhaps you could modify the window to either temporarily or permanently hold the fan. If you have divided light windows, you can remove one pane and replace with a duct or if you can open it part way and insert some sort of homemade fan adapter.

Reply to
PipeDown

The short answer is no. You need to do it right.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

How about a through-wall fan?

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Just stirring the air can be enough- you could install an overhead forced-air heater, its only a little larger than a fan/light combo, and you get to step out of the shower to a nice toasty bathroom.

The increased air temp will also hold more water, keeping it uncondensed, and when you open the door the moisture will migrate around the house (good in winter).

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp