Flashlights, old style, hundreds of them...

Page 2 of 3

Oh gee Artemus; you beat me to it!!!! Donate them to something, get a valid receipt from a registered charitable organisation (maybe the SA?) then claim a valid tax deduction. Even if the charitable org. had use (or sale) for only a few or even threw them out they wouldn't have to outlay any cash! Note to the OP .................... You are paying income taxes are you? OK then; get a tax deduction.
terry wrote:

Pretty close to half the households in the U.S. don't pay income taxes according to an article I read a few days ago.
Dean Hoffman wrote:

Approximately 47% of the households don't pay _federal_ income taxes, due to their incomes being too low, or by qualifying for various deductions and credits. The Child Tax Credit is a biggie, both in terms of dollars and the number of households that claim it. You can earn up to $50K and, if you have at least two qualifying children, end up paying no federal income tax.
On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 21:31:13 -0400, the renowned "Existential Angst"

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Holy Shit!!! I'M RICH..... I'M RICH!!!!
Oh, the Amazon link INCLUDES batteries.... hmmmm.... Now, I just need 500 D cells.... : :(
The cheapest you can get D cells seems to be a little under a buck each: (Amazon.com product link shortened)71039081&sr=1-3&condition=new
So that means the flashlight itself is about $1.50.
I'm surprised nonLED flashlights are being manufactured/sold at all.
A flashlight with 2 D cells is more like a club. Heh, in fact, mag lites with 4+ D cells ARE used as clubs, by the poh-lice.
--
EA

I usually use 50 cents a piece for batteries as a benchmark as to whether Sams, HD or whomever really has them on sale. That is an alkaline cell. Regular zinc cells or out of date cells can get real cheap.
Dollar Tree, near me. Went from four D cells fer a buck, and now it is three D cells.
I can't remember the prices at BJ's Wholesale club. But the alkalines are under a dollar each. Alkalines have four times the operating life as heavy duty. (Yes, I've tested an assortment of brands and devices, years ago.) Alkalines have much longer shelf life, also.
Heavy duties are good for places like my cousin's motel, where flashlights are often not returned.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Hey Stormin, izzat motel where you get your wives from? Where you get married?? Both????? Cousin performs the ceremony?? Just curious....
I imagine you take care of the motel's A/C??
--
EA

> --
I'm reminded why I had you filtered out. I saw you had mentioned flash lights. Which was kind of neat. Sadly, though, it's as Al Gore said. A leopard can't change his stripes.
http://freedomkeys.com/gore.htm
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I find them to be common, and to be commonly offered for sale at most retail establishments where one can buy flashlights, even as of early 2010.
Do keep in mind that some flashlight "brands" have an interest in battery (or "cell") sales, and may have a profit motive to sell less-energy-efficient ones.
Also, keep in mind that a flashlight delivering a beam as bright as that achieved with a PR-2 incandescent lamp is still more expensive to manufacture with LEDs as opposed to a PR-2 incandescent lamp, especially when considering the cost of voltage-boost circuitry for a bright white LED flashlight working well and reliably from 1 or 2 1.5V cells.
On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 21:31:13 -0400, "Existential Angst"

That's not a horrible flashlight, Garrity is a real name. I would shop them around to independent stores. Other posters are right about a chain like "The Dollar Store" but there are plenty of no name dollar stores who sell what they can get cheap.
On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 21:51:17 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

They ARE better than a lot - they usually work at least once. They didn't stand up well to my Kids' abuse though. I think they make a couple grades too - I usually got them at Canadian Tire in 2-packs or 3-packs for a couple bucks. The switches were the weak point, generally.

Heh, my mega-employer musta bought 20,090 flashlights, to replace our Old D-cell Reliables. The new flashlights use C cells, have a kitchy but useless belt clamp, and have a pushbutton switch on the back end. The first thing to go was that effing switch, so now we have to turn them on/off via twisting the front.
Gotta luv mega-bureaucracy.....
It's amazing how difficult it apparently is to get a battery, bulb, and switch in a tube to work.
--
EA

My cousin would probably buy a bunch of these. He owns a 12 unit motel. Every time the power is off, people come to the office, to borrow a flashlight. Which opens up an idea, perhaps motels around you would like to buy them.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I can't either - they are such CRAP. I used to give them to my girls when they went to camp figuring they'd just get lost anyway - and invariably they'd come home with them - not working - and "Daddy, can you fix my flashlight?" In their eyes I could fix anything - so it was a real letdown to them when I told them they'd get new ones next year-----.
On 4/11/2010 10:53 AM, Existential Angst wrote:

There is a drop in LED bulb (about $9) that will work for most of them. Then sell them for $20 as high tech retro LED flashlights?
--

Richard Lamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb /

V8013-R

You mean, like fer taxes??
I'm doing this on behalf of an in-law, so I don't have the final say-so -- altho it certainly is in my interest to get them out of the house. I'll keep you posted on what the upshot is, and see if I can get them over to you, depending depending. . Ahm so *proud*, tho, that this flashlight actually appears on the internet... and on ebay!!
Hey, dude, you gave a buddy of mine (Richy) heart palpitations on those broached shafts -- he sez yer gettin'em finished for just about his *material cost*.... goodgawd....
--
EA

> Regards,

Yep. Fer taxes. :0

I'll be here as will our effrots for years to come so let me know.
Someone here was kind enough to shoot us some bicycle repair tools which worked out great. They are on a ship going to Ghana as of a few days ago and will arrive and be distributed to the local bike repair guy in late May. Empowerment to bring a better future to the people. We are sending folks over to not jsut hand stuff out but to train, etc. It's a unique atmosphere there... No electricity but they can buy batteries.

LOL. I said the same thing about my 1960's Humber Super Snipe key - and then sold it.

I felt bad for him. My old man did the negotiations and has a knack for finding dirt cheap suppliers. I forget where he found the least expensive guy, but it was in country and probably in a town like Bucksnort, Arkansas or something...
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

I was watching a PBS show yesterday,and they were showing bicycle frames made from bamboo,that were made in West Africa,it might have been Ghana. They looked pretty cool. They smoked the bamboo to harden it and preserve it.Then they used some sort of fiber to make the joints,probably with epoxy,they looked well finished. The guy said the frames were much lighter than they looked,and strong(enough to carry two people).The main tubing was about 2" in diameter.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik