Flashlight temptation

Page 6 of 16
On 5/5/2016 4:01 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

CY: Well, maybe they use different names.

CY: Price. The carbon zinc AA cells are eight for a buck, at Dollar Tree. Alkalines are four for a buck. Some consumers don't know that alkalines last four times as long. As such, a much better product for the money.

CY: In the US, Rayovac used to sell alkalines called "Renewal" which were supposed to be rechargable up to 25 times. I did buy some, but not used them for much.

Posted inline, after my initials. As a courtesy.
On 5/5/2016 5:33 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

http://www.dx.com/p/replacement-3w-cree-xr-e-q5-170lm-emitter-on-14mm-star-for-flashlight-silver-white-246331#.Vyu9mCGE_2Q
Hope the link comes through. Anyhow, the emitters are differnt than the LED commonly in use.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 5/6/2016 8:25 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

At about 9 AM (nearly 36 hours, but not quite) the light went out. I took out the battery to check the end voltage. Which was 0.79 volts.
I noticed a couple drops of liquid in the bottom of the flash light. The battery turns out to be leaking. Oddly, the flat negative end had a bit of liquid, and the battery was blowing bubbles. Not sure why that is. I put some paper towel under the battery in the trash can. Rinsed out the flash light with warm water, and left it open to dry.
One amazing flash light. Doesn't do every thing, but it does a good job as indoor light when you need a little light, but not much. And the battery life is exceptional.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Fri, 6 May 2016 09:22:42 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Using very crude numbers, an LED is maybe 90% efficient and an incandescent is maybe 10%. Right there, I'd expect nine times the run life. You said your experience with the old flashlights was 3 or 4 hours, so, a nine fold improvement would give somewhere around 27 and 36 hours. Bingo.
On one hand you only have one cell in the new instead of two in the old. On the other hand the new one can work down to .8 Volt. The incandescent would have stopped producing any visible light long before the voltage got that low; the joule thief circuit has gotten as much out of one battery as two in the old style.
Well, you have milked this for 8 posts now. Time to move on. Perhaps test it against EMP. Can you speak North Korean?
On 5/6/2016 3:09 PM, Winston_Smith wrote:

And now.... I've found a use for the flashlight! I've got these damn run down AA batteries run down to much to be useful but still enough charge to not throw away. So a single cell 18650 battery holder with a spacer ( bolt that happens to be the right size) the test meter which doubles for the jumper wires... and now the AA is running the LED, the electrons are making photons now that won't wind up the city landfill. It's kinda like not throwing out good food but feeding it to the neighbor's dog.

You sound as silly as me. I'm using up a 100W incandescent room bulb instead of replacing it with LEDs.
--
Why doesn't DOS ever say "EXCELLENT command or filename"?

On 5/7/2016 6:25 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
After my great grandmother died, we found a ball of string labeled, "string to short to do anything with". I suppose I inherited some of those genes. Here's another thing I don't have... but if I see one at the Dollar Tree I'll have to have it. https://www.dollartree.com/Emergency-Cell-Phone-Chargers/p350905/index.pro Just to take apart and see what's inside.
My 2 Cents wrote on 5/7/2016 5:38 PM:

That is essentially a battery holder. Four rechargeable AA batteries will give you close to 5V to charge your devices through the built-in USB socket.
On 5/7/2016 8:08 PM, ZUMzX⚛← Mighty ╬ Wannabe →⚛ejqpQ wrote:

only two AA batteries... so it must boost the voltage up?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mraqng4303Y

On 5/7/2016 10:48 PM, My 2 Cents wrote:

That would be my guess. My LG flip phone (with USB Micro socket) charges okay with the DT charger, and a cable which I purchased at DT.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

No guessingn required. Cell phones run on Lithium Polymer cells with a 3.7 volt output, so if 2 1.5 volt +/- dry cells ( 3 volts, +/-) can charge it, there IS a voltage boosting circuit involved.
On Fri, 13 May 2016 14:27:54 -0400, clare wrote:

But this way Stormin' gets to play the sage survivalist guru reasoning out a complex problem. AND he gets to start a new thread and see his name in lights again.
Win-win.

Why not just take a fully charged spare phone battery?!? You're deliberately taking the wrong kind of batteries, then transferring the charge, how ridiculous.
--
A Smith and Wesson beats four Aces.

On Sat, 07 May 2016 21:48:07 -0500, My 2 Cents wrote:

But holds half the total energy of a model with four cells. You will get half the charges. Fine if you can recharge regularly. If you are away from home or a heavy user, one might consider the 4 cell versions. Twice as big, twice as heavy. Pick your poison.

4AAAs?
--
A Smith and Wesson beats four Aces.

No, learn about leaving in context.

Again, you've deleted context, the conversation does not follow to this point.
--
"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

On Sat, 07 May 2016 18:19:40 +0100, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

Where shall we start. Genesis chapter 1, verse 1 work for you or should we go back to Gilgamesh? Or perhaps send pictures of cave drawings?
The world moves on. Everyone adds and changes. Much is abridged in the daily process. This is not an historians club.

No, the bible is the biggest work of fiction ever.

Context and history are not the same proportions at all. I leave in 5 levels of conversation, that's always enough to work out what people are talking about.
--
I learnt so much from my mistakes I think I'll make another.

On 5/7/2016 2:54 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

But not for the self-righteous who believe in a book of allegories.