fixing roof leaks on garage

I have a metal roof on my garage that has leaks, I was thinking of getting a 5 gallon bucket of roof coating compound, any advice? approx 20x20 roof, is one bucket enough?
Is the metal sound with joint leaks or corroded and decomposing? I have a galvanized roof system I designed and after 20 some years had to repair it. I used a product that adheared to the metal after putting on an adhesive coat. The new was thick roof compound with reflective aluminum. It came in rolls. I had thought of the roll on roof coating compound, but when I realized my metal was almost non existant in some places, I opted for the roll material which cold bridge small gaps and gave a new layer of metal (aluminum) to the whole surface. It cost several hundred dollars to do my 24 x 24 garage roof, but the actual area covered was about twice that as I lined the 2 x 10 joists/rafters and then put a new deck down on top. I was just trying to locate where I got it so I can buy some more to waterproof under another deck. It seems very good. This isn't the answer to the question you asked, but I think it depends upon how sound your metal is. If it's sound then follow the label on the can for coverage. I'd pay special attention to where it leaks and why. If there is a seam with a crack or some structural reason that encourages a leak I'd try to figure out how to fix it before coating. Good luck. I don't think this was too helpful, but sometimes others ask helpful questions. Perhaps I did.
_______ KaCe
glassartist wrote:

which run down rafters so their origin is unknown. i figured that putting a coat of rooffing compound would probably be the safest preventative for the dollar.