In compliance with code, our electrical sub-contractor installed smoke
detectors throughout this new house. He also installed in a central
hall as part of the system a "Firex Smoke/CO Alarm Smoke Carbon
Monoxide Alarm Model FADCQ." This device is causing a lot of
confusion and grief here, going off randomly with false positives at
any time night or day. It is making the house practically
The Firex manual is confusing to me, describing 26 different
conditions that the unit communicates by means of three different
colored lights that flash in combination with a "horn" that sounds in
various patterns in various numbers of times. None of these seem to
describe what the unit is doing and the manual's Troubleshooting Tips
The unit is wired into the AC and has a 9v battery backup. I would
shut it off at the box and remove the battery, but it is on the same
circuit with the lights in one area of the house.
I have called the Firex company and they would not talk about the
problem; they just said very quickly that they would send me another
unit. The electrician has installed the new unit and it malfunctions
the same way.
The electrician answers our requests to uninstall the unit with a
standard CYA warning speech about the dangers of CO and the virtues of
Is there anyone knowledgeable out there who can suggest how we can
shut this thing down ourselves?
Thanks for any help.
I also have a Firex interconnected system, where one of the
sensor heads went bad. They're trivial to remove - just unscrew
the head, and then pop out the connector. 30 seconds work, tops.
Make sure that you shut off the AC power to the alarm, since you'll
be handling the connector, which has exposed pins supplying 120VAC. :-)
You can go to your local department store and spend $10.00 on
a battery powered smoke alarm while you wait for another replacement
Honestly, you're making this into a much bigger deal than
On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 10:57:01 -0400 "Barney H."
used 34 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair
Try posting this in alt.security.alarms
I would recommend replacing the unit with a smoke detector only, and
installing a second stand alone CO2 detector(s) on each floor.
Remove the 'snails' from my email
That is great advice! I posted the message there last night and this
morning had the following reply--expert, detailed, clear, concise,
dead on target:
"Turn off power to the unit at the circuit breaker. Remove the unit
and check the wiring with a voltage tester, one probe to black and one
to white. Remove the wire nuts, and disconnect the device from the
house wiring. Cut the exposed ends of the white and black separately,
and screw the wire nuts back onto the ends to insulate them. Fold the
wiring back up into the junction box, and install a blank cover on the
box. Take the unit to the garage and find your biggest hammer. Put on
safety glasses, and...well you know the rest."
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.