fireplace damper removal

How do I remove an old fireplace damper? I am putting in a stainless steel tube for protection and I need to remove the damper...

Reply to
johnboy50

Find a friend with a cutting torch and he'll have it out of there quick and clean. A plasma cutter is another good alternative. If you feel masochistic, hack it our with a Sawzall. But perhaps the people installing the liner may have a better idea. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

John Boy, Using a sawsall will be a certain mess on your head. All that vibration will certainly bring down an unwanted tidalwave of chimney buildup and metal chips. The plasma cutter will be a better option for tight quarters like a chimney. You make this liner insert sound as though you are planning on doing it yourself? It is money well spent to have something like this done by a service provider that is experienced, especially if you dont own your own plasma cutter.. After your damper is removed you may want to consider a Chimney Balloon or some type of chimney plug to serve as your damper. You dont want that open hole to be left unclosed to release your AC in the summer and heat in the winter.

Reply to
German Jerry