Fireplace damper

I have sold my house with a vent free gas log. The inspector says we need a device on the damper to keep it open about 1/4-1/2". He says it is something like a small c clamp.

Is anyone familiar with such a device? I can't find one on the Internet. Maybe I can just get a small c clamp.

Reply to
arjay

I guess I would want to see the proof of his suggestion. If you have a functioning damper, why keep it open all the time?

Reply to
Frank

You say you have sold the house: so the problem (if there is one) is not your business but must be solved by the new owner.

Most jurisdictions have a building code that includes provision for ventilation (that apply only to newly built houses and is not retroactive) and a fire safety code (that may be retroactive i.e. apply to all structures whenever built.)

Reply to
Don Phillipson

You will easily find such a thing at your local fireplace store. Its called a "damper clamp" and if you search for that (and skip the motorcycle hits), you'll find one. Or try searching at "fireplacesnow.com" The problem you really have is the definition of "vent free." You and the inspector don't agree. The buyer can possibly waive his "finding" or you have to fix it.

Reply to
Grandpa

Thanks. That is the information I need. The house has not yet closed and I am not willing to jeopardize a sale in this market over a $30.00 clamp.

Reply to
arjay

Which you can probably do by including -motorcycle in your search terms.

Reply to
mm