Finishing basement Question

My basement insulated half walls 2"fiberglass, plastic covered fiberglass.

Should I:

1) add another half wall 2" fiberglass 2) use existing half wall, add rigid polystyrene insulation 3) remove half wall, and glue polystyrene insulation 4)insulate new framing 2x4 walls

Thanks

Reply to
Mike Jak

By "half walls" I am assuming you mean some one has furred out the walls with 2" strips so that the wall is 2" thick.

Whatever you choose get rid of the plastic. It is a mold issue waiting to happen.

Around here code requires that finished basements be studded in the normal fashion and insulated with R-13 (3.5"). The cost to add another 2" will almost equal the cost of buying studs unless you rip your own 2 x 2's. Polystyrene can be a serious hazard in the event of a fire. Better check your local codes for it legality in your area. I would rip it out and stud it up if I were going to live there or replace the plastic with something that can breathe and finish the walls as they are. R6 vs. R13. What is the cost of heat or cool where you live?

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt