finding what breaker serves what circuit

Page 2 of 2

Turn on all your appliances - lamps, TV's, etc.
Flip all the breakers off in your house.
Then flip one on. See what comes back on and label the breaker. Repeat until finished.
Seems to be a quicker solution than trial and error.
Dunno why.
I use a vacuum sweeper or a radio turned up loud so I can hear it from the circuit breaker box to tell when I flip that particular outlet circuit.
jim
Kyle Boatright wrote:

On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 07:56:25 -0500, "Kyle Boatright"

And have a tester or small, portable appliance ready for testing receptacles not normally used.

Remember that modern electronic appliances (like that TV?) might not come on until you use THEIR controls.
I did it the other way - start with all on, then turn one off. Either would seem to work. The above could be an advantage of doing so.

I tried the "trial and error" method once. It was mostly error since the other person wasn't cooperative.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

I'm sure you are sincerely posting what you read somewhere, but it's very unlikely that Franklin said this. It doesn't have the ring of something he said, or of any other writer of the 18th century.
It's not listed in Bartlett's Franklin Quotation (1919), I'm told,
And I'm also told that the word lunch did not exist until after Frankln. My Merriam Webster's dictionary confirms this and dates it at 1812.
A friend sends me a lot of email with false quotations, allegations of things that never happened, and allegations of things said or done that did happen but which were said or done by those of one political leaning, and attributed falsely to politicians or other well known people of an opposite leaning. It seems in my experience that when the person lived in the 20th century, it is alway Democrats and liberals about whom these false statements are made.
It hurts the reputation of Replublicans and conservatives that they are it seems always the bearer of these false statements, and it would help their reputation if they would verify this stuff before repeating it.
posted and mailed.
Sincerely,
Ken wrote:

are some good suggestions about ways to do it in the other responses.
One thing you might want to do is to make a sketch plan of your house, and mark all the outlets, lights and such on the sketch, with the breaker for each one. That way when you see a breaker labeled "Living Room" you can tell that it is the outlets on the East wall, not the lights.
Post the sketch in or adjacent to the breaker box and you can glance at it and know which breaker to turn off.
After that check to make sure it is dead before you start working on it.
Bill Gill

I used such a map. One reason is to make sure I checked EVERY outlet.
The Living Room may be on 2 or 3 different circuits. It doesn't work to test one outlet, and assume the others are on the same circuit.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
A breaker usually will serve more than one light/outlet. Turn on all the lights. Plug something into as many outlets as you can; nightlights, the like, radio, whatever. Make a sketch of the whole house showing lights/outlets. Turn off a breaker. Go see what's not working, mark it on the sktech. If an outlet doesn't have something plugged into it, find something to test it with to see if it's off. Usually lights and outlets aren't on the same breaker, but you never know. Now you can eliminate those lights/outlets from the next search. Turn that breaker back on, turn the next one off. Repeat. You'll quickly see a pattern to what's being turned off and after a few breakers the job gets pretty easy.

The walk-through (for each breaker) gets easier, since you can eliminate the outlets you've already identified. Remember to check for receptacles where each side is wired separately.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

I tested all the lights and receptacles, then flipped one breaker and checked again to see what isn't working.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
You can buy a circuit breaker tracer at a hardware store for about $30. It has two parts. One part plugs into the wall socket. The other part you place along the side of each circuit breaker until it indicates the breaker which controls that wall socket. For light fixtures which use screw-in bulbs, you can use an adapter.
If you're selling the house, why bother? Let the new owner do it.
Ken wrote:

Ken wrote:

There are several different brands of tester which do what you describe. In fact your local borg probably has at least one of them hanging on the peg right now. This unit is one of the best but is rather expensive IIRC but I'll include the page for reference anyway:
http://www.greenlee.textron.com/archive/MA4762.pdf
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

serves a specific fixture, you need to find out which fixtures are served by each breaker. Turn off all the breakers except one. Walk around the house and see what's on. Repeat for each breaker.
Now, how do you test each fixture? First leave everything on that can be, like lights. For outlets, get one of those "pen" type testers that you don't need to plug in. HD has a cheap Greenlee device. It senses AC line voltage when its tip comes close to a live connection. I had to map out a junction box with about two dozen wires in it. I don't think I would have survived the experience if I'd had to disconnect (or *cut*) each wire to see which ones were live.
Greg Guarino

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/tmt/grgtnovode.html

A radio is your friend. Plug it into each outlet in the house and find out which breaker turns it off. To check lights you need a helper to hollar when the light goes off. (unless you want to unscrew lightbulbs and put a screw in outlet in the socket to plug the radio).