filter fabric over weeping tile?

Is there any need to put filter fabric over the gravel which covers the weeping tile around the footings of a poured foundation? I have heard of people putting a layer of tar paper over it also. I guess the theory is to stop soil from entering into the space between the gravel. Most local builders simply backfill over the gravel.
The drainage tile should be covered with a sock and the landscape filter fabric should completely surround the gravel which surrounds the tile. Dirt plus water equals mud which will otherwise fill up the tile eventually.