plugged weeping tile.

Anyone ever run across a blocked foundation weeper where perforated "Big O" drainage tile was used? Any luck getting it cleared out and working again without having to dig it all up and replace it?? Looks to me like a lot of silt got in through one of the down-runners - possibly a window well, and plugged it up. Water level is about 6 inches below the basement floor - the level of which is a good foot higher than the storm drain. (possibly even 2)

Reply to
clare

you could get a plumber to try and snake it, and camera inspection.

if tree roots are a problem a heavy dose of rock salt water will kill the roots but leave the trees unbothered

Reply to
bob haller

Definitely no trees. We will have (hopefully) a foundation drain expert taking a look at it tomorrow

Reply to
clare

It can be jetted if you have cleanouts.

If you don't, they may be able to dig down at both ends of the run and then jet it. Better than digging it all up. Then they can put in cleanouts, which you will never need again :-(

Although it is often done, downspout and surface drains shouldn't connect to foundation tile because 1. stuff coming down the spouting can clog them...as you know, and 2. you are dumping all the roof water into your foundation if you do get a clog. The downspout drains should run through solid PVC to your storm sewer or daylight, separate from the foundation drains. Kinda late to do it right now, though....

Good luck!

Paul F.

Reply to
Paul Franklin

On my current home the downspouts are all discharging on the surfaceexcept one that goes into a small dry-well about 10-12 feet from the foundation (overhanging porch at front of house) One main dounspout goes into rain barrels first, with the overflow discharging on the surface. Never had moisture problems in the basement. It is on a fairly level lot, with an "open bottom" of sand and gravel.

The house in question is a candidate for my next home if I can get it at the right price - bungalow - double garage - full excavated basement under garage as well as the rest of the house - but currently has a drainage problem.. Hoping the pros say they can clear the drains - then there will be some re-grading to do - ground level is within an inch or so of the first course of brick in some places - should be 8 inches of foundation exposed.. There is a lot of "french drain" installed to drain the back yard - and I'm suspicious they fed those drains into the perimeter drain, and a load of silt from those sub-surface lawn drains had plugged the perimeter drain.

There is a terraced retaining wall in the back yard that DOES need to have a drain behind it - but I think it should discharge on the surface and drain via a "swale" along the edge of the property to the street. Currently part of the small back yard is lower than the land at the back of the house (where the ground is nearly at the brick line), and there is a tile inder that low area as well - both dischrging into a "pit" at the back corner of the house that I believe is connected to the perimeter. The pit is silted pretty badly.

We will see what the "experts" say - and how much it will cost to fix

- then we see what kind of an offer it makes sense to put on the property. - and if the seller accepts the offer..

Reply to
clare

It'll be 2pm tomorrow before the experts get to it.

Reply to
clare