dead hot water dispenser

Sears (In-Sink-Erator) model 175.60550 doesn't heat. power ok. From Sears parts list & costs, looks like only if the themal fuse or thermostat.is bad is it worth fixing. Any pointers on checking these? I assume the fuse check would just be using the meter to check for open = blown.

Reply to
diane

I have a fairly recent ISE (I'm too lazy to crawl underneath the sink to look at the model # right now) that had the same problem and replacing the thermal fuse was quite easy. If it is the thermostat the job would probably be a bit more difficult. If it is the heating element then repair would probably be extremely difficult. I'd think that repair to the extent of the thermal fuse would be worthwhile if the unit was working well before it died. Slightly less so if it is the thermostat. Probably not worth it if it is the element. Simple resistance measurements will tell you where the problem lies (power off of course) since there are really only three electrical components in series in the whole unit.

Reply to
John McGaw
  1. Secure access to unit.
  2. Remove all water lines.
  3. Disconnect power.
  4. Dissemble unit, and look for something that looks like a small black resistor, often pointed on one end.
  5. Check small black unit with pointy end for continuity.
  6. Consult owners manual and look for a part number. Or Sears online parts store.
  7. Order replacement part, and solder in.
  8. Have fire department pump cellar, you didn't turn off the water shutoff before unhooking the water lines.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon