Filling nail holes on painted project

Anyone have a trick product for filling nails holes on something that is to be painted? I've used glazing putty in the past and the results are good but the stuff is a mess to work with and dries up. In a moment of desperation I tried Play-Doh (glazing putty was dried up), went in easy and cleanup was a snap but it shrinks too much.
Anyone ever try plumbers putty?
Minwax wood filler, dries in a half hour, put it on with your finger proud of the surface and sand flush. I just filled hundreds of nail holes in a cornice and chair rail installation, works great and better than caulk or putty.
Mutt
On 16/03/2006 8:27 AM, RayV wrote:

Painters' putty.

DAP Spackling.
rockhard water putty
DAC wrote:

Brand name - Durham's
http://www.waterputty.com/repair.htm
I prefer the MinWax Plastic Wood.

I ditto that. I've used it for years.
Max

Try painter's putty.

--
Regards,

Uhh... How about wood putty?
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

In addition to my suggestion of DAP Spackling, take note that if you use a filler that dries to a hard substance, remove as much as possible before it dries. If you leave a lump on the surface that is much harder than the surrounding wood as is often the case if you are going to paint the surface, sanding can leave a shallow area around the filled in hole as the wood sands away faster than the hard filler. In this case hand sanding with a piece of sand paper wrapped around a block of wood works much better than an electric sander with a cushioned bottom.
Elmers carpenter's wood filler, dries hard ,shrink free. Comes in a plastic tube and is paintable in a few hours. Painter putty remains soft.