figuring Squares of sheet metal

I am wanting to build a shop and am trying to figure how many squares of sheet metal it will take. Can anyone tell me how much area a square will cover? I know a square of shingles will cover 10 feet X 10 feet. Is sheet metal the same?

Reply to
RockingRC

A square of roofing is 100 square feet. An example would be 10 feet by 10 feet.

Roofing is almost the only material sold in that measurement.

Asphalt work and carpeting go by the square yard, though carpet is starting to advertise square foot so the number sounds better.

I do not know what you mean by sheet metal. Do you mean metal building siding? An easy price comparison would be in square feet, though the material would be ordered on the basis of each sheet's width and height. Different brands of sheeting come as 2' / 2.5' / or 3'. You would typically buy the length of sheets to make the side walls and gable half in one piece. For example, 10' tall side wall sheets for a 12' x 12' building using 2' sheets would require 24 sheets 10' long (4 sides @ 12' each=48LF / 2' per sheet). The roof sheets would be 12 sheets +/- 6' long (2 sides @

12' each=24LF / 2'per sheet)

squares of

square will

feet. Is sheet

Reply to
DanG

The legislatures in some states have made it law that carpet must be priced by the sq ft. Apparently our education system is now so bad that buyers can't divide by 9 to make a price comparison.

RB

Reply to
RB