Faucet key 3/8 inch

In existance, there are outdoor water faucets, which have a 3/8 inch square shaft. To open the door, one needs a facuet key which has a 3/8 square hole in the end. Here is one such: http://tinyurl.com/7ekqqov and another such. http://images.bizrate.com/resize?sqH0&uid "94912283
These silly things are $15 or more. Any where they can be found, less expensive? Or, some other way to turn the faucet on and off? I know HF has a wrench socket set that has 8 point sockets. This won't work, as it's going to an agency which has a wide variety of people, and many are not mechanically minded.
✖
On 1/20/2012 5:45 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

3/8's drive extension with a handle welded on it.
--
Steve Barker
✖
3/8's drive extension with a handle welded on it.
--
Steve Barker
✖
On Jan 20, 6:45 pm, "Stormin Mormon"

Replace the outdoor tamper proof faucet with one which has a normal valve handle...
~~ Evan
Add pictures here
✖

$15 for a specialty product? Seems reasonable to me.
Here's the same item for 10.77:
http://tinyurl.com/7gbujo9
Didn't look at the cost of shipping.
--
Dan Espen

Add pictures here
✖
Thanks, that's some better. Today I found two more of the Zurn key in question. In the cabinet, with the other plumbing parts. So, we're good for a while.
I'll book mark that, or send it to myself on email.
writes:

$15 for a specialty product? Seems reasonable to me.
Here's the same item for 10.77:
http://tinyurl.com/7gbujo9
Didn't look at the cost of shipping.
--
Dan Espen

Add pictures here
✖
On 1/20/2012 5:45 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Since I clean condensing units for commercial customers from time to time, I have a darn newfangled four post long reach key that resembles a tiny four way lug wrench. ^_^
http://preview.tinyurl.com/6lj9xbz
Not pot-metal like most of them.
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
And, none of the openings is 3/8, they are all too small.
"a 1/4 in., 9/32 in., 5/16 in. and 11/32 in. stem"
You see, 3/8 is also can be called 12/32, which is larger than what this one offers.
Since I clean condensing units for commercial customers from time to time, I have a darn newfangled four post long reach key that resembles a tiny four way lug wrench. ^_^
http://preview.tinyurl.com/6lj9xbz
Not pot-metal like most of them.
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 21, 7:38 am, "Stormin Mormon"

And you know, if you replaced the outdoor tamper proof faucet with one using a normal handle no one at this "agency" packed with non-mechanically inclined individuals would EVER have to worry about this problem EVER again :-O
Add pictures here
✖
Last time I encounered this was when my local public library lost it's hose key. Solution was to take an ordinary cast iron valve handle and silver solder a 3/8 drive socket to it with the 3/8 hole facing out. They still think I'm a wizard.
Add pictures here
✖
You know, I (and the place I'm volunteering) do have a big load of 3/8 drive sockets around. I could grind down the tip of the old faucet key, and glue it in. I'm not able to weld. Not sure I can silver solder to zinc diecast. Probably can't weld, either.
Excellent idea, and thank you.
Last time I encounered this was when my local public library lost it's hose key. Solution was to take an ordinary cast iron valve handle and silver solder a 3/8 drive socket to it with the 3/8 hole facing out. They still think I'm a wizard.
Add pictures here
✖
Sorry. Just don't tell Mom, like you did the last time?

If the 3/8 drive fits, just turn it with a 48" pipe wrench, sheesh. Or pliers from you tool box. Do I have to think of everything? :-\
Add pictures here
✖
On 1/20/2012 6:45 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Are you going to bill your client for the time you spend trying to save them $5?
Add pictures here
✖
No, it's a charity. And, I'm volunteering. It's my slow season, I have some time. Good point.

Are you going to bill your client for the time you spend trying to save them $5?
Add pictures here
✖
On 1/22/2012 3:17 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Tell them to have a bake sale and buy a new wrench with the proceeds.
Add pictures here
✖