Fair electrician rate?

I am wondering if I am being charged by my electrician at a fair rate, and whether I should spend the effort to find someone less expensive. I've used him in the past before and he does a good and careful job. He is licensed.

$450, new 20amp outlet from panel in back yard to family room, dual (4) outlet box, line running through the attic. Distance probably

50-100 ft.

$225, add another outlet in a room (by extending an existing outlet on one side of the room), line running under craw space.

$295, add a ceiling light to dining area of the living room.

$175, add another regular ceiling light to the same room.

This is in San Jose, California area. It took them about one day to do the job.

Thanks.

Reply to
nospam.home

If another local contractor did the same work, with the same quality, for a substantially lower price, then his price would be high. It's difficult to judge this sort of thing. You might try another contractor for the next job and see how you feel.

Reply to
RBM

Sounds about right for the locale.

Reply to
Meat Plow

I don't know your area, but it is probably in line. Most charge $75 to $100 an hour, plus material. Alabama would be lower, NYC would be higher.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

20 years ago I worked as an electrician for an electrical contractor out of Carlsbad, CA. I worked everywhere from San Diego to north of San Francisco and in between. It was very interesting and the company I worked for was charging more per hour then than I charge now here in Alabamastan. It all depends on the market in your area. [8~{} Uncle Monster
Reply to
Uncle Monster

The best way to know is to get 3-5 estimates. I know that can be a hassle, but after the estimates you will know a fair rate. I would eliminate anyone who is not licensed, insured and bonded. Around here, an electrician is about $30/hr plus materials and travel time.

Reply to
Phisherman

sounds a bit pricey to me . and i am a licensed electrician , but it is the left coast and i realize that things cost a bit more in the land of the fruits and nuts than they do here in the land of lincoln

key thing is , he is licensed , he does a good job , you said so yourself the work was completed quickly , and is there any doubt in your mind that it isnt right or safe ?

why do you come to usenet after the fact ,?

snipped-for-privacy@n>I am wondering if I am being charged by my electrician at a fair rate,

Reply to
The Freon Cowboy

No you have not being charge fair rate one day $100.00/hour = $800.00 You owed the men money

Reply to
Depress

Thanks everyone! I have more work that needs to be done in the near future so I am just trying ot get a sense of whether I should try out some other electricians...

Raymond

Reply to
nospam.home

"No you have not being charge fair rate one day $100.00/hour = $800.00 You owed the men money"

Tony? you using a different alias now ?

"Depress" wrote:

Reply to
The Freon Cowboy