Faint natural gas oder outside?

Page 2 of 2
Nate Nagel wrote:

Lou
I thought most gas company guys knew not to search leaks with a lighter or fire? Guess not. Most of them using this techniqe have already blown themselves up.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

There is a concern when flammable material is nearby. Contact your gas company. They have detectors and will take care of it without charge.
Call the gas company. I had the same thing --very vague, sometimes I smelled it and other times I didn't. I waited forever and then finally called. It turned out to be an undeground gas pipe on the outside of my house. They had to dig it up, dig up the street, replace the line going to my house and the house across the street, install a new shutoff meter for both of us, etc.

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 16:53:24 -0800 (PST), Goldlexus

If it's strong enough to make you faint, it's a serious problem. Call 911 immediately and get the fire department. Your whole neighborhood could blow up. I saw on the news where a gas leak made a house explode and burn. They found parts of the house 7 miles away. 6 or 7 houses were destroyed and several people died. By the time the fire was put out, an entire city block was demolished.

Had sinilar problem look for 6 months even had gas company out twice. Finally gas man with tester found a leah behind the gas meter. It did not show until he tilted it away from the wall. Replaced meter and no longer have a problem. LOOK AT METER.
On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 16:53:24 -0800 (PST), Goldlexus

When we had a hot tub and were sitting outside in the winter, we would periodically smell that additive (you're not smelling the natural gas, you're smelling the chemical additive that the utility company puts in it to make it detectable for the human nose), and we realized it was our own gas furnace kicking in: the exhaust (high efficiency) was to the side of the house perpendicular to the hot tub, and the west wind would bring it around for us to enjoy. We had it checked out, and learned there was nothing to worry about, if this is the kind of exhaust you have (side vent, not up through the old chimney).
Goldlexus wrote:

For years many people complained about the odor of natural gas whenever I was around. I finally discovered the source and took corrective action.
http://www.flat-d.com/flatdpremium.html
TDD

Such was the case in my neighborhood for a number of years. It was gas leaking into the air from the underground gas lines. The lines were very old and started leaking. The Gas Co. fix was to drill holes into the street at various locations, where the smell was the worst, in order to allow the gas to escape into the atmosphere. Finally, after it got too bad to deal with, the Gas Co. installed new, small diameter plastic, lines snaking them right through the center of the old ones. Good bye smell. MLD

check for carpenter ant infestation in your house's frame......

A friend of mine just e-mailed me saying that she was feeling very sick today after inspecting one of her rentals and finding that a stove burner was left on low, with no flame. Just for the hell of it I googled around a bit and came up with this page. Rather long but shows that breathing that stuff is a no bueno. You say that it's outside but then again, how much of it wafts in when the breeze is in the right direction? http://www.ask.com/bar?q=Symptoms+of+Smelling+Natural+Gas&page=1&qsrc=6&ab=9&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.alkalizeforhealth.net%2FLnaturalgas.htm
Somewhere on the page it said this about detectors: What can families do to help protect themselves?
Purchase a methane detector. Smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors do NOT detect natural gas leaks. Kidde Nighthawk makes an explosive gas/methane detector for sale at Target. You can also purchase a natural gas detector online. I have no financial interest in either. Educate yourself and family on the health symptoms to look out for and never leave a leak un-repaired.
On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 16:53:24 -0800 (PST), Goldlexus

Two gas company servicemen, a senior training supervisor and a young trainee, were out checking meters in a suburban neighborhood. They parked their truck at the end of the alley and worked their way to the other end. At the last house a woman looking out her kitchen window watched the two men as they checked her gas meter. Finishing the meter check, the senior supervisor challenged his younger coworker to a foot race down the alley back to the truck to prove that an older guy could outrun a younger one. As they came running up to the truck, they realized the lady from that last house was huffing and puffing right behind them. They stopped and asked her what was wrong. Gasping for breath, she replied "When I see two gas men running as hard as you two were, I figured I'd better run too!"