exterior stain over exterior paint?

I'm going to be restaining my siding this summer. But the trim appears to have been mostly finished with paint instead of stain. Can I paint over this with stain instead of paint? Would I have to scrape it down to the wood to do so?
Add pictures here
✖
On May 10, 5:03 am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

It's common for the trim to be painted, while the rest is stained, particularly if the trim is a different color. Mu house, the cedar is stained blue, the trim is painted white.
If you want to, you could probably put a solid stain over paint, but certainly NOT a transparent stain. Read the label, which should tell you what surfaces it's suitable for.
Add pictures here
✖
On May 10, 5:03 am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I managed a Benjamin Moore Paint Store and I am a "professional house painter". I would recommend that you paint the trim. If it has been painted with a semi-gloss which most exterior trim is, a solid body stain (a good suggestion though) may not stick to it. It's like painting Latex over oil.
Be on the safe side.
Don K.
Add pictures here
✖