Exterior Paint Question

Hi,

I tend to agree as often mentioned that the quality levels of paint from the different "name brand" paint producers is probably such that the care in the application is probably more important. And that the differences between brands is secondary. (live in New England)

But, one does like to have personal experiences and opinions to evaluate, of course.

So, let me please ask.

For the top of the line in each (BTW: which would be called what for each ?):

Any opinions on California vs Benjamin Moore for Latex exterior house paint ? Why ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

Never tried either of those. 20+ years ago, I got hooked on Devoe and Martin-Senour and never looked back. No reason to change once I've found a product that always makes me happy.

By the way, perfect technique will not compensate for a product that's trash.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Consumer Reports just rated paint. Check it out at the library.

Interior Behr has a great rating though I found it drippy. I am not sure they considered ease of application in their rating.

Reply to
Art

:Hi, : :I tend to agree as often mentioned that the quality levels of paint from the :different "name brand" paint producers is probably such that the care in the :application is probably more important. And that the differences between :brands is secondary. (live in New England) : :But, one does like to have personal experiences and opinions to evaluate, of :course. : :So, let me please ask. : :For the top of the line in each (BTW: which would be called what for each :?): : :Any opinions on California vs Benjamin Moore for Latex exterior house paint :? :Why ? : :Thanks, :Bob

I went into my "local" Benjamin Moore store yesterday and inquired about exterior latex paint. They have several grades:

Contractor grade (forget the name they use for it) Better Grade Top Grade 1. MoorGlo (semi gloss) (I have been using some of this for my sills) 2. Moor ? (low luster) 3. Moor ?? (flat)

The guy I talked to basically talked me into the top grade low luster, which is almost $40/gallon. He said the flat isn't as good at keeping out penetrating moisture and the semi gloss is faster to fade, leaving the low luster. I gave them a sample to match and they are supposed to call me this afternoon informing me it's ready to pick up.

This paint is probably overkill for my needs right now, but I spent so much time constructing a wood custom gate that I figure I may as well put some top quality paint on it. Very labor intensive job.

The semi gloss is a couple of dollars more. The flat is much less, about $33/gallon. I'm less than confident the sales guy was knowledgable or being honest with me, but I figured I would just accept his advice. He wasn't playing the sales guy game as transparently as you'd want. He didn't inspire confidence, I mean.

Dan

Reply to
Dan_Musicant

They don't usually rate professional-grade paints, just the paints marketed to the DIY crowd, so ignore Consumer Reports when they test paint.

Reply to
TakenEvent

I have been using Sherwin Williams Duration for exteriors for the last few years. It is really expensive, and doesn't cover as much per gallon since it goes on thicker, but I couldn't be happier with it as a product. Never heard of "California" paint. Is it the one product not know to cause cancer in California? :-)

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

Big_Jake wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

As long as you are not in California it won't hurt you :-)

Reply to
Al Bundy

The professionals who painted my house for the builder used the cheapest paint they could find. The professionals who I hired to do the exterior normally used Sherwin Williams Duration but used Gliddon Endurance at my request. There are no magic professional paint around unavailable to consumers. Paint is one thing Consumer Reports tests well.

Reply to
Art

Just realized you asked about exterior. Some types of California are tops according to Consumer Reports. That and Glidden Endurance which is what we had the painters use and it looks great.

Reply to
Art