Exterior Paint Estimate for this house

Page 2 of 2
Red -- thanks for responses. I don't have an extension ladder. So by the time I buy a type 2 or better ladder I could probably buy some used scaffolding and have a nice working platform to dive off of -- or so that is my thought. The ladder atop scaffolding idea I mentioned would be a step ladder to get another 3' above the scaffolding -- not an extension ladder off the scaffolding!! Your picture is exactly where I need to get.
This is the exact house, http://www.dongardner.com/images.aspx?pid 3&fn=exteriors%5c235front1.jpg The dormer on the 12/12 is on the back side, it's the upstairs bath, otherwise this photo is spot-on. The 22' peak is the garage gabel end. There is a flat driveway on one end to setup on and a deck/ sidewalk on the other. The front dormers on either end I can reach from the roof. The one in the middle I need to get above the roof another 3'. The house gabel ends are above the porch roof, so I need a way again to use a ladder or build a platform on the low slow porch roof.
Add pictures here
✖

If this is all you need the ladder for (once a decade), rent an appropriate ladder. My previous house had cedar clapboards, with a 20' dormer on the back. I used a 20' Type 1A ladder to paint it (rented scaffolding to put up the cedar).

Add pictures here
✖
On Oct 13, 3:18 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

I might be able to come-up with 12' of scaffolding for < $200 (72" x 30" Perry type). 12' above the ground will get me to most of the places with that one 22' peak the exception. That's where placing a small 6' step ladder onto the scaffolding is one idea. Now I have a platform to reach all levels (with some challenges for the dormers).
I do appreciate the insights given here. Until I actuall stand on a 12' scaffold I don't know how confident I'll be.
Add pictures here
✖

You also have a death trap.
A 24' type-1A ladder at the Borg is $260, new. $184 for a Type-II (but I wouldn't trust one fully extended). There may be used ones around for half that.

Hope you have your sea legs and insurance paid up.
Add pictures here
✖
On Oct 13, 3:54 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Seems like scaffolding would be more stable than a ladder. I need to get up to those places to do some caulking, priming, and then painting. I'm not too concerned about the time to move the scaffolding. But I can honestly say I've never stood atop 12' of 30" x 72" scaffold. The 5' x 7' stuff would probably be better.
Add pictures here
✖

I'm tempted to send this thread to my brother, the ex-pro painter. He lives in Phoenix and what with home prices and all he probably could use a good laugh.
Let me be sum up what we've determined to date.
You're scared of heights. You've never done this before. You're ignoring the advice of people that have. You're scared of heights.
That's all I'm getting from this. The only semi-serious question you have is about accessing the dormers. I would tell you to Google "chicken ladder", but you're afraid of heights so that's pointless advice.
Do yourself the favor and hire someone. You can get any laborer who's not afraid of heights to paint it while you supervise from the ground. It'll cost you ten or fifteen bucks an hour, the guy will be done with all of the high parts within two or three days, and he'll even bring his own ladder.
✖

R - the bids came in at 3.5K to 5.5K. I don't know how many days that was intended to be, but given I have other needs for the sorts of tools (pressure washer, scaffolding, etc) that are needed in the project I've decided to undertake it. I see value (beyond the 3K) to doing it myself, e.g. identifying poor drainage spots, future issue areas, etc, so I'm proceeding with the challenge. Heck I might even find I like it.
Add pictures here
✖

Not if you don't listen to the voice of experience you won't. You'll make all sorts of stupid mistakes, and hopefully not the "final solution" one.
I don't care how you spend your time, I don't care what you do to risk you life, I don't care how you spend your money. Just don't ask for approval. Other idiots reading this thread down the road might not know enough to know _you_ don't know enough, and they might follow your example.
We're done, right?
✖
All,
Continue to appreciate the suggestions (most of them).
I bought a pair of multi-purpose scaffolds (aka Perry) from TSC who had them for $150 each this past weekend. We have only used them thusfar to get us 2' and 4' above the ground. All I can say is it's Much better for me than setting up a ladder, climbing, painting a small section, repeat. I suppose if I was a very good painter, I'd develop the right muscles and skills to paint rapidly from a ladder, but for me, the 6' of scaffold space plus another foot to either side lets me attack 8' of soffit, fascia, siding, etc as if I'm standing on the ground. One unit alone will get me 6' off the ground which will be enough to reach 13-14' which is 80% or so of what I need. If I stack I can get at another 10% or so, leaving that last 10% as the 22' peaks and a couple of spots on the dormers. Brush on a stick might be the answer this time -- so long as there's no other prep needed. Hanging out that bathroom window to get at the dormer on the 12/12 is an interesting idea. I need to give that some more thought.
Add pictures here
✖
Vic & all --
Some good ideas there.