Extending electrical box on ceiling fixtures??

O.K. all you electrical code experts..... I am installing a ceiling which will have a surface 2 1/2" beneath the existing ceiling. (It's a soundproof deal).
I want to keep the ceiling fixtures so I have to do something about getting a box level with the new ceiling. The only "bocx extenders" I have found are 1.5" and twinning two of them to the existing ceiling box will extend the box below the new ceiling and perhaps leave me short on wire. The BX cable in the ceiling is too tight for me to pull more into the box. I believe that electrical code prohibits me from converting the ceiling box into a junction box and simply wiring down to a new ceiling box. (Isn't there something in the national code that prohibits "burying a box in a ceiling or wall?")
Sooo my one option is to take apart some of the old ceiling, raising the existing box 1/2" then adding 2 extenders and pigtailing if I need more length. This is a major hassel.
Anyone have any other ideas??
Thanks in advance. Ray
If responding by email, please take "thetrash" out of the email reply address.
Ray wrote:

Find another method/materials to do the soundproofing that won't require that much space. Google the group for soundproofing ideas.

I am not positive on the code but I believe that you can extend the wire within the same box and it is fine. Doesn't even count as an extra wire in the box. Wire length problem solved.
Use a single box extension and 1-3 plaster rings ( a thinner box extension). I think they are 1/2" each. I also think they only come in round so this may or may not solve your problem.
You might also be able to buy the extenders in plastic and cut the extra 1/2" off. It is not fun but it can be done.
--
Colbyt
Remove " stopspam." from the email address to reply via email

i'm not so sure. marr connectors count. so unless you tape the connections, you'd better count. ...thehick
If it is a 4" round or octagonal box, use the 1 1/2" extension collar and purchase a 1" light ring (Raco #732) to bring it flush with the ceiling. The finished mounting ears will be 2 1/4" on center.
If it is a 4" square box, use the 1 1/2 " extension collar and purchase a Raco #757 1" light ring. The finished mounting ears will be 2 3/4" on center.
You'll most likely have to go to an electrical supply house to purchase these items. 1" is an odd size for most home improvement stores to stock.