Exposed nails on shingles

Page 2 of 2
On Apr 4, 10:11 pm, "Stormin Mormon"

No, this isn't to keep them from rusting. Exposed nails can be a source of roof leaks, so you put a dab of roofing cement / tar / caulk on them to keep them from leaking. I would call these "shiners" and would try to scout them out and seal them at the end of a roofing job. It's not unusual to have a few errant nails and, as long as they are taken care of at the end of the job, it isn't a big deal. Tarring a half dozen nails ISN'T a heck of a lot of work.
JK
Add pictures here
✖
On Apr 4, 11:11 pm, "Stormin Mormon"

There shouldn't be that many exposed nails in the first place, and applying the roofing cement with a caulking gun makes short work of detail applications.
✖
inspector, issues would have been photographed and in his report. Some provide softcopy where you can extract the photo and post.
Just some thoughts.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 4 Apr 2009 07:25:27 -0700 (PDT), woods

Of course he's obliged to mention it, but without more details I can't tell how much of a problem it is. Sometimes, just some roofing cement covering each one and a little beyond is all you need.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 4 Apr 2009 07:25:27 -0700 (PDT), woods

If it's one or two nails, I'd insist on a new roof. If it's more than two, I'd insist they destroy the house and rebullt it from scratch!
Peter C.
Add pictures here
✖
woods wrote:

Rusting roofing nail? On my last house they used aluminum nails. Now at this house I am done with asphalt shingles. It has tiles which I hope will last longer than I.
Add pictures here
✖

On the WHOLE roof?! Never heard that one. Why? Alum nails for alum flashing, yes. I would think the soft alum would jamb up a nailgun.
Coiled aluminum roofing nails? I'm no roofer. They make them? I've seen the std galv everywhere and the cheap-ass zinc ones at Harbor Freight.
Add pictures here
✖