Exposed nails on shingles

That's a really curious arrangement. Are all of the nails on the same row and in a continuous run of shingles? I've seen nails run off course due to operator error, but usually they realize it as soon as they put a shingle in on the row above.

I'm now starting to wonder if there's a problem with the sheathing and they were trying to keep the problem from telegraphing through the shingles.

Have you investigated up in the attic? What did you see?

RicodJour

Most likely a sloppy hired hand with a power nailer who didn't care about staying above the nailing line.

Reply to
norminn

Brand new house? If the builder won't replace each compromised shingle, I'd hire my own roofer to repair the damage, and deduct my roofer's charges. The builder should be amenable to having his own roofer make repairs however. I'd recommend removing each offending nail, and slipping an aluminum flashing card under the tab with the nail hole so water will run out onto the underlying shingle. Maybe lift a tab above the repair to drive a nail into the shingle through the flasher to keep it in place. Tom

Reply to
tom

Yes, I talked to the young guy who was the roofing subcontractor, and he said "You can't do this without having a few exporsed nails since you only have a small line to put them in!" He was acting like he knew it all!

Reply to
woods

The guy who roofed my old house has agreed to try and replace each of the shingles with exposed nails, but he said he has to get it on the right day, or the shingles will want to tear when he tries to release them from their seal. They are really sealed down tight. He agreed that they will develop leaks sometime in the future if we didn't go up and tar them every other year or so.

Reply to
woods

I bet I know what his truck license plate reads: STOOPID

Remember, referrals work both ways. Give the idjit the appropriate referral when the subject of roofers comes up.

RicodJour

Not sure where you live, but if the roofer gets to the job on a cool morning, and uses a reasonably sharp flatbar, the shingles will separate pretty easily. Try not to rely on tar for the repair, because the guy's right, tar requires more maintenance than a fix without the goop would require. Tom

Reply to
tom