Experiences with, opinions on "Shark Bite" pipe fittings?

Page 3 of 4
snipped-for-privacy@thenet.com wrote in

You severely underestimate the versatility of duct tape.
snipped-for-privacy@thenet.com wrote in

You severely underestimate the versatility of duct tape.
snipped-for-privacy@thenet.com wrote in

You severely underestimate the versatility of duct tape.
snipped-for-privacy@thenet.com wrote in

You severely underestimate the versatility of duct tape.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in wrote:

Everybody is different. Personally I like them for sink & toilet shutoffs. Never had an issue which explains why I like them. Tighten to box directions. If there's a drip, tighten 1/2 to 1 flat. Never back up.
On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 04:50:52 -0800 (PST), brassplyer

Are you talking about those plastic fittings where the outer shell is pushed forward to install the pipe, and snaps back when the pipe is inserted? If this is what you mean, I used several of those on a Pex job when I re did my bathroom. I never wanted to use the PEX in the first place. The whole house is copper, but several years ago I was out of town when the toilet pipe froze and I had to hire a plumber, and he ran some PEX up to the bathroom. I intended to rip it out and put in all copper but the driod at the store told me that PEX is the best and did his best to sell me on that crap. When I found out the cost of the tool to put on the rings, I bought those snap on connectors (which I believe is what you mean).
For the last year since I re-did the bathroom, everytime someone used the shower there was water dripping in basement under the tub. I caulked and recaulked around the tub suround and bitched at everyone in the house about spraying too much water on the walls. Last month I finally ripped out the wall behind the tub in the room behind it, and found that snap together connector leaking by the shower head. The floor under it was getting bad and moldy. I looks like everytime someone adjusted the shower head, that elbow fitting moved until it was halfway off the pipe. I relaced the divereter to shower head pipe with copper and have not closed up that wall yet, because I am going to replace all the PEX with copper. I should have listened to myself and not that droid in the first place. I wont be using any more of those connectors or for that matter, PEX.
For the past 60 years of my life, plumbing meant solid pipe, not hoses (which is what PEX is). I'll keep it that way from now on. Copper costs more, but compared to the cost of those fittings, I would have spent the same amount if I had done what I wanted in the first place, and would not have had to rip open a wall and deal with bad boards and mold inside the wall. Live and learn !!!! Newer don't always mean better.....
On Nov 26, 7:22pm, snipped-for-privacy@thenet.com wrote:

re: "Are you talking about those plastic fittings where the outer shell is pushed forward to install the pipe, and snaps back when the pipe is inserted?"
I'm not sure what fittings you are describing, but these are the ones the rest of us are talking about:
http://www.sharkbite.com /
On 11/25/2010 7:50 AM, brassplyer wrote:

I may be the only one who has had a shark bite fail. It was on a copper line that had a slight curve in it and it was not quite round. Leaked immediately. Not a lot, but enough.
Jeff

re: "I may be the only one who has had a shark bite fail"
I don't think it's really fair to say that the "Shark Bite failed".
I know it could be considered semantics, but to say that the "Shark Bite failed" tends to point blame at the Shark Bite when, by your own implied admission, you didn't follow the installation instructions.
You can't blame the Shark Bite for that.
On 11/28/2010 11:23 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I don't blame them in the least, although I never saw the instructions. I just hit the limit of what was possible. It still sort of worked.
Jeff
On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 08:23:28 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

It would be safe and accurate to say the "sharkbite installation failed"

Or, it would be safe and accurate to say that "Sharkbites may not work on applications where tubing is crushed, bent, curved, out of round, corroded, punctured, folded, mutilated, split, expanded past its original diameter, or otherwise junk."
On Nov 28, 4:47pm, "Stormin Mormon"

Fluoride in the water.
On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 14:05:44 -0800 (PST), RicodJour

As long as the fitting doesn't leak, non of the flouride will ever see any parts that will corrode - assuming you still have flouridated water. In Waterloo region the last municipal election, which had a turnout of some 40%, had a plebecite on flouridation and by a 1% margin of that low turnout, flouride was shut off.
On Nov 28, 9:17pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

It was a son-of-a-dentist joke. Corroding teeth in the Sharkbite...? Fluoride in the water? Sigh. Nevemind. ;)
On Nov 29, 7:47am, "Stormin Mormon"

They are pretty handy for joining different types of plumbing. I used a couple to connect cpvc to pex. I don't see any advantage to them for cpvc or pvc as both are easily glued. I'm guessing the big sale point is for people with copper pipe that can't solder. Or just get tired of trying to get all the water out so they can solder.

...or need to work in very tight spaces like a joist bay-rim joist area. BTDT
...or need to work near combustible materials.
...or are just in a hurry. BTDT

...or need to work in very tight spaces like a joist bay-rim joist area. BTDT
...or need to work near combustible materials.
...or are just in a hurry. BTDT
reply: That was my situation when I went to HD and was buying "stuff" to fix a burst pipe. The SB changed a three hour job into a fifteen minute one.
Steve

re: "The SB changed a three hour job into a fifteen minute one."
I turned off the water, cut a pipe, installed a Shark Bite cap and turned the water back on - all before the TV commercial was over.
Cleanup was pretty easy too: I dropped my pipe cutter back into the drawer and threw the little plastic bag away.
On 11/28/2010 4:08 PM, Steve B wrote:

I cut the line back to where it was relatively straight, perhaps a radius of 6'. Not obviously visually out of round, but I don't doubt that it was. It installed easily and is impossible to take apart, but it did leak. Remarkable devises, but not "fool" proof, but what is?
Jeff