Experiences with, opinions on "Shark Bite" pipe fittings?

snipped-for-privacy@thenet.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You severely underestimate the versatility of duct tape.

Reply to
Red Green

Red Green wrote in news:Xns9E3D6457D437BRedGreen@69.16.185.252:

Obviously I'm having send issues here.

Reply to
Red Green

.16.185.252:

I thought it was the duct tape.

RicodJour

.16.185.252:

No, your Send function is working just fine...over and over and over again. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I may be the only one who has had a shark bite fail. It was on a copper line that had a slight curve in it and it was not quite round. Leaked immediately. Not a lot, but enough.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

re: "I may be the only one who has had a shark bite fail"

I don't think it's really fair to say that the "Shark Bite failed".

I know it could be considered semantics, but to say that the "Shark Bite failed" tends to point blame at the Shark Bite when, by your own implied admission, you didn't follow the installation instructions.

You can't blame the Shark Bite for that.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I don't blame them in the least, although I never saw the instructions. I just hit the limit of what was possible. It still sort of worked.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

It would be safe and accurate to say the "sharkbite installation failed"

Reply to
clare

The original poster doesn't say, but perhaps the distortion of the copper pipe was only evident on minute inspection. With soldering, little deformities don't make a difference for normal home pressures and reliability needs.

Reply to
Mark F

Most copper connectors would have failed on tubing with a slight curve and not quite round.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Or, it would be safe and accurate to say that "Sharkbites may not work on applications where tubing is crushed, bent, curved, out of round, corroded, punctured, folded, mutilated, split, expanded past its original diameter, or otherwise junk."

Reply to
Steve B

100% agreement from me. I have experienced problems with standard compression fittings in that same case.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Fluoride in the water.

RicodJour

I cut the line back to where it was relatively straight, perhaps a radius of 6'. Not obviously visually out of round, but I don't doubt that it was. It installed easily and is impossible to take apart, but it did leak. Remarkable devises, but not "fool" proof, but what is?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

It wasn't lead that did 'em in. It was iron.

In the hands of the Vandals.

Reply to
HeyBub

Stainless steel stands up to an awfull lot

Reply to
clare

As long as the fitting doesn't leak, non of the flouride will ever see any parts that will corrode - assuming you still have flouridated water. In Waterloo region the last municipal election, which had a turnout of some 40%, had a plebecite on flouridation and by a 1% margin of that low turnout, flouride was shut off.

Reply to
clare

I've experienced failures of standard compression joints when the tubing was round and straight.

Reply to
clare

re: "It installed easily and is impossible to take apart"

Impossible to take apart due to your faulty installation or impossible to take apart because you don't know how to take them apart?

They come apart just about as easily as they go together by simply pressing in on the plastic ring. You can do it with any number of tools/items you have lying around the house or you can buy either one of the removal tools shown here:

The Removal Clip was about $3 at HD last time I looked.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

It was a son-of-a-dentist joke. Corroding teeth in the Sharkbite...? Fluoride in the water? Sigh. Nevemind. ;)

RicodJour