Experience with Harbor Freight tile cutter

I bought the 16" score type cutter that had all the attachments for cutting straight and circular holes in tile up to 5/8" thick. I bought it about a year ago knowing that I had some tile projects coming up in the future. The price was $21.95 (regular price is $27.95).

I just got it out and with minor assembly was ready to test cut a piece of

3/8" tile. I scored it and then tried to break it as defined in the 'manual'.The cast aluminum(?) handle socket(fulcrum?) snapped in half on the first try. Other than the score the tile looked untouched. I guess the lesson learned is that you get what you pay for. Being more than a year ago I do not have the receipt(or cant find it) so I guess it is a good lesson that I will remember.
Reply to
michael huffaker

Lesson:

Whenever you buy something in anticipation of future needs: Try it out within the 30 day return period. Then you can set it aside, knowing that it works.

Reply to
Walter R.

Greetings,

Harbor Freight might take it back anyway. If you are planning a large purchase anytime soon that would be a good time to make the return.

If they still sell the same cutter another option might be to buy one just like it. You could stick the old one back in the box and return it along with the receipt a week later.*

Hope this helps, William

*Of course that would make you a criminal. Saint Peter might not let you in at the pearly gates, etc, etc.
Reply to
William Deans

This is Turtle.

If your going to deal with Harbor Freight you better know the brand and item your buying and not take MAY WORK BRAND. They have some good stuff buy , but you better know the brand before ordering. I like the Milwalkee Electric Drill type Sheetmetal Shears at $154.00 and at the my wholesale warehouse they run over $200.00. The 25 foot trouble shooting lite at $7.99 and at walmarts they are about $12.99. Also some of the Milwalkee & Dewalt electric drills too.

Quality is not in their stuff at all and you have to be the judge of brand they sell as to the quality they have on their stuff. If you don't know the brands they sell and their quality of the brand. Stay away from them.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

If it's a store branded item I'd at least try to exchange it without the reciept. The only really bad thing I ever got from Harbor Freight was a jig saw, specifically:

But I was able to fix the problem myself.

Reply to
Childfree Scott

This is Turtle

Don't get off the wall brand names on stuff like '' Maywork Manufactoring Co. ''.

Always get a name you know.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE