Enhancing An O-Ring Seal?

Page 1 of 2
I've got an el-cheapo IP camera that is taking on moisture in heavy rains.
The body is two cylinders joined on an o-ring set into a channel.
Before I got nuts with the silicone seal, is there something more disassembly-friendly that I can smear on the o-ring to enhance the resistance to water penetration?
My kneejerk is Vaseline - but, with my luck, that would attack the o-ring.
--
Pete Cresswell

Silicone *lube* is what is typically used on O rings for PVC unions and such.
"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

Silicone grease. You can get it at your local SCUBA shop since it's used on O-rings in UW camera gear, lights, etc.
Pete:
Your best bet would be to get a set of dental picks so that you can take the old O-ring out, and then just put a new O-ring, or one size larger O-ring in for a better seal.
Here, I wrote up a blurb about O-rings while I was posting on a board before I came here. Lemme find that write-up.
--
nestork

Per nestork:

In the interest of brevity, I lied a little about the o-ring. It's a custom shape to accommodate a few screw holes.
I think I'm going to go the silicone grease route. If that fails, I'll just remove the o-ring, set the joint in marine silicone sealer, and hope I don't need to disassemble it too often.
--
Pete Cresswell

(PeteCresswell);3068228 Wrote: > Per nestork:-

> take

> I'll

Can you use a plumbing sealer like teflon tape there? Plumber's putty? Plumber's putty that isn't too too old is easy to remove with a Q-tip dipped in mineral spirits.
--
nestork

--
nestork

On Sat, 25 May 2013 23:26:19 +0200, nestork

do what you like with yours. Silicone Grease has been the standard solution for this problem with divers and photographers for almost 30 years (possibly even longer) - because it works and does not cause other problems. It is very easy to purchase, use, and remove.
Per snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca:

I'm going to Home Depot today.
Hit the local hardware store, and could not find anything explicitly "Grease". A lot of "Silicone Compound" stuff - and I even have a tube of that already..... but I'm guessing there is some significant diff with "Compound" vs "Grease". In fact, the stuff I have looks more like lubricating gel that grease.
--
Pete Cresswell

deteriorated.
On 5/25/2013 8:23 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

try a pool store.
On Sat, 25 May 2013 17:20:03 +0200, nestork

can readilly get a replacement for - it is generally a pretty long o-ring formed to fit the perimeter of the case.. And no dental pick required to remove it.
(PeteCresswell) wrote:

I've been using Vaseline on all my in-ground pool piping's O-rings for years. It has never attacked the o-rings and I've never had to replace any of them. The pool was installed in 1986.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

PS. I take apart the pool filter every Autumn and store it inside for the Winter, then reinstall it in the late Spring.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 05/25/2013 10:39 AM, willshak wrote:

Some kind of grease is the answer, the issue is that vaseline might be perfectly safe for some kinds of rubber and not others, the same may be true of silicone grease (likely one or the other will work though.)
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On 5/25/2013 8:43 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

The classic and well proven thing to use for such applications is silicone grease. It is inorganic (obviously) and won't attack rubber.

That is what I use for all of my sealing needs of this sort. Dow 111 It will also hold PVC pipe joints together under low pressure operation without leaking. (40" of water or so)

PC-
Most of the comments thus far have helpful.
I would suggest avoiding the use of vaseline & stick with the silicone lubes, valve stem lube, etc (compatible with rubber O-rings).
Depending on the exact design of the camera & O-ring sealing means.... moisture could be getting in through a different route. Another thing to consider...sometimes over tightening can reduce sealing effectiveness.
cheers Bob

and seals against moisture intrusion. Can't remermber the brand I use - but it is a food-grade grease used in food production lines.

Use a silicon grease made for sealing against liquids. Fountain pen owners use it to seal ink reservoirs. You can buy it in small amounts that won't break the bank:
http://www.isellpens.com/product_p/a-silgrease.htm
Inspect the oring with a minimum 5X magnifier for excess or negative casting flash. Make sure the oring is does not have cuts or defects. Inspect the oring grooves for scratches or dings. You can smooth 'em out with some 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper. If all is well, grease 'er up and reassemble.
nb