engine won't start !

Reply to
jacko

Oren wrote this I think.

Under compression whatever contaminants that are fouling the plug get pressed against the insulator and plug tip making a pathway for the spark to ground instead of across the tip. Having raced 2 stroke dirt bikes back in my 20's I've seen this many times. Anyway that's my theory FWIW.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Kudos to the team !

Got it running after letting it stay idle for two days ..AND guess what it was ?? the sparkplug!

Not to belabor the point, but this was a real fooler .. the original plug still gives a great spark when grounding the tip ...HOWEVER, when I tried same experiment with that plug on another electric start snowblower ....NOTHING! ..couldn't just swap the plugs because it was a diff plug, but a working lawnmower used the same plug ..swapped that one and it gave a strong spark on the second snowblower ...put lawnmower plug into the malfunctioning snowblower ...and off it went

Thanks to all who contributed to my dilema.

BTW, years ago I had seen a garage tester for spark plugs that connected to the air compressor with a pressure gage ...you could see plugs that worked under atmospheric pressure, but at 120psi, some did and some didn't ..so, this is NOT speculation, but a fact.

Stew Corman from sunny Endicott

Reply to
scorman

Years ago there was a tool (in real gas stations with a two bay service) for cleaning spark plugs, essentially a small sand blaster.

One connected the air line, inserted the plug into a rubber collar/washer(?-) and with a few short blast by pressing the button.

Never saw a tester connected to compressor.

Reply to
Oren

I read too much into _failing under compression_.

I have experienced a bad plug right out of the box...before pre-gapped plugs. There was no time for fouling as the plug was new. It had to be replaced immediately after install.

I prefer fouled plug term over failing. Just me:)

Reply to
Oren

Anytime, my friend. We are good at contributing to dilemas.

So, ether didn't do it?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Well I have seen plugs that would provide the same intensity spark of a new plug perform poorly when installed. Keep in mind that I posted my theory on what happens and not something that was scientifically proven. Glad to see tho that the OP took your advice and changed the plug.

Reply to
Meat Plow

I only "contributed" to the OP "dilema.".

:))

Reply to
Oren