Embarrassing paint question

I need to paint three cheap pine shelves for a backyard metal frame. I have plenty of heavy-duty paint that would withstand the weather, sun, etc. , but no primer.

Embarrassing question: I really do not know whether two coats of paint get the same result as primer + paint.

After all these years-- to confront such a dilemma !

Advice appreciated. Insults assumed.g>

Aspasia

Reply to
aspasia

If the pine has knots in it, you can cover coat them with shellac. It prevents the sap bleeding through the paint. The paint will coat better.

Reply to
Oren

I've cheated and painted bare wood without primer. For outdoor, hard weather, I would use primer and put two coats, at least, on the end grain. End grain is almost always where a little bit of moisture gets into the wood and causes peeling and cracking. The better you seal it up, the better it will weather.

Reply to
Norminn

aspasia wrote in news:481cefb5$0$4108$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

Primer is not paint.

Primer has a different function than paint. A couple are to seal the wood, to create a good bond between the material and topcoat and to seal stains from bleeding.

It's just a matter of do you need these things for your particular application.

Reply to
Red Green