Electronic keyboard repair (I hope)

Yamaha PSR-12, has maybe 72 keys, around 24 voicings, flexible-speed percussion, canned tunes, etc. About 20 years old.

I turn it on lately, it works fine for 2-10 min., then freezes. The little light that is supposed to come on for beat 1 when one chooses percussion accompaniment locks on. That and the power led are the only things functional.

The case has 2 halves. I workbench the thing turning the business end (with keys and most PCB's) up 90 degrees to tinker, and it plays OK for up to 3 hours (presumably lots longer). I figure the problem has to do with either gravity or heat buildup.

There are PCB's for power and switching, and 2 big PCB's presumably for tone generation, special effects, etc. I tried some ribbon cable connections: wouldn't budge. I'm afraid of breaking a board or connector or ?.

It's gotta be repairable. I think. :-)

Any/all help/advice much appreciated. Know of a more productive forum for the query?

Thx, Puddin'

"Well, there's two trains runnin'. Ain't neither one goin' my way. One run at midnight, the other run just before day." - from "Still A Fool", Muddy Waters, maybe 1949

Reply to
Puddin' Man

Clean it real well. My laptop started randomly shutting off/locking up and I just blew the guts out with compressed air and it's still working fine. Dust buildup was causing something crucial to overheat.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

buffalo ny: just guessing: i don't know this device but if the power is a problem: the ac adapter or input power circuit has some ac ripple as it aged causing freezeup. if this is an ac/dv device, do the symptoms change when you run it on batteries? or in the battery compartmant is there any corrosion present? any defective ac filter capacitors bulging their tops? i just found this:

buffalobill

Post this in alt.guitar.bass. Don't ask why.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

First thing I do if I have to open the case (any case).

This one was pretty clean. I vacuumed etc anyway.

"Well, there's two trains runnin'. Ain't neither one goin' my way. One run at midnight, the other run just before day." - from "Still A Fool", Muddy Waters, maybe 1949

Reply to
Puddin' Man

No corrosion.

The unit runs on 9-12v dc. I just measured about 9v dv off the switch/volume PCB while it was frozen. So the problem is "down the line".

Got it. Much thanks.

"Well, there's two trains runnin'. Ain't neither one goin' my way. One run at midnight, the other run just before day." - from "Still A Fool", Muddy Waters, maybe 1949

Reply to
Puddin' Man

Done. Thanks.

"Well, there's two trains runnin'. Ain't neither one goin' my way. One run at midnight, the other run just before day." - from "Still A Fool", Muddy Waters, maybe 1949

Reply to
Puddin' Man

Many of the people there have experience with equipment other than bass, and they're all into tinkering. Give it 48 hours and you should have a few responses.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom