Electrical Shock While Working On Dryer ?

Page 2 of 3

Next time unplug.

The casing needs to be grounded. I went back and checked mine. It is grounded.

Great idea.
Dick

I would not count on a cold water pipe as a ground.

Just fixed a good friends electric dryer. installed new element
Its a 3 wire plug 240 volts.
She has a 2 year old. The dryer is old.
Would it be a good idea to add a ground wire from the case to a good house ground just to be on the safe side?
the area the dryer is in has a water problem. that makes me more concerned. the washer and dryer sit on a pedastal, like a skid made of outdoor wood. very well built, makes working on appliances hard. floor is frequently wet.
Yes, I would do that. Good idea.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

My dryer uses a 3-prong plug. There is a nearby 120V receptacle that is grounded. Do you think it's OK to use that?

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Mark Lloyd wrote:

I should point out that using a cold water pipe is not a good idea because it may not be a good ground due to a number of reasons like maybe someone using a length of plastic pipe or some other reason and then if you have an fault in the dryer, it may make you kitchen sink hot. Very bad idea. I also believe it is against modern codes.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
all service entrances are bonded to ground rods and cold water pipe system.
its interesting to note this could result in a electrical powered water system

The code for Dryers and Ranges was changed during WWII to allow 3 wire instead of 4 wires to save copper for the war effort. Within recent years it has changed back because people were getting shocks from dryers.
The problem with the 3 wire system is that the neutral (which is a current carrying conductor in a dryer) is also being used as a safety ground. Most dryer motors run on 120 V. even though the heating elements are 240 V. I believe the dryer light also runs on 120 V.
In an ideal world, the neutral is supposed to be at ground potential, but there are all sorts of reasons why this may not be true. You can have bad connections, or the overall ground system of the house may be marginal.
To fix this properly, you would need to run a new line with two hots, an isolated neutral, and a ground and install a four wire receptacle for the dryer.
Dryer cords come in 3 wire and 4 wire models and the code has "grandfathered" existing 3-wire installations.
Since you are one of the ones actually getting shocked by your installation, it may be a good idea to do the full fix.
Beachcomber
Dick Adams posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

--
Tekkie

It sounds like the dryer is grounded properly. And when spraying, the can touched a live wire or the spray sprayed into a live wire and the electrical path went from the can through your hand/arm and then through your other arm/hand to the frame of the dryer.
Were both arms tingling?
Also a better test to see if the spray conducts electricity is to use 240 volts for the test. I know some ohm meters are not capable of testing some electronic components because the voltage in them is not high enough. Perhaps this spray will conduct electricity if the voltage is high enough? Warning! This would be a very dangerous test, so don't try this at home.
Also one time a distributor on a car was wet inside (water) and car would not run. Spraying wd-40 on the inside contacts made the car run again.
"Robert11" wrote in message

Bill posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

Underwriters Labs?
Your whole post was a waste of time and dangerous - get off the Internet!
--
Tekkie

The 'WD' in WD-40 stands for 'Water Displacement', so by spraying the (water) wet contacts, you sprayed the water away from the contacts and left behind WD-40.
I have used WD-40 in the past to dislodge dead fire ants from the contactor in an A/C unit. I have to admit I cut all the power to the unit before removing the cover (I only LOOK stupid!). Never had any problems with electrical shorts or anything of that type after restoring the power, so I would say that at consumer-type voltages you are pretty safe that WD-40 is not going to conduct.
For more interesting history on WD-40, see their Web site: http://www.wd40.com/AboutUs/our_history.html .

Well, if you actually got a shock, then yes, it was voltage between the neutral and the ground. Your neutral and ground are the same, and the frame is attached to it. So if the neutral is floating, then there could be voltage between the frame and ground. However, the dryer wouldn't work in that condition; there would be no 120v circuit for the control; so it is unlikely. I think you misunderstood what happened; either you didn't get a shock, or you got it off a hot.

ground isn't needed. If your neutral is floating, you have created a dangerous ground loop. So don't do it. (I suppose it would be relatively safe to unbond the ground and then ground the frame, but it is neither necessary nor legal)
The matter certainly requires more investigation, but a water pipe is not the solution.
you have an excessive amount of faith in the rules.
if everything is wired per code for a 3 prong 220 V outlet..., and then there should happen to be an OPEN circuit failure in the neutral circuit anywhere in the system leading to the dryer or in the dryer itself, the dryer case will become energized with 120 V through the 120 V clock circuit in the dryer.
The day I realized this, I lost my faith in the "code" and I added an external ground wire to ground the case of the dryer to the washer right next to it which has a 3 prong 120 V plug.
So your saying if my dryer case happens to touch the washer case right next to it .....that is a code violation?
too bad
Mark
Mark

Yes, that is what I said. But I also said that the dryer wouldn't be working because the 120v clock circuit would be open (except perhaps through you.) If your dryer isn't working, unplug it before working on it. There, your problem solved.

resistance of the neutral, so it effectively doesn't exist.

Yeah, it is too bad. You think they write the code for fun, or to employ more electricians? It is your house; if you want to ignore code I wish you the best of luck.

no I don't want to ignore code, almost always the code makes sense....
in this particular case it doesn't. In fact they no longer allow 3 prong 220V outlets in new construction for this very reason....
I want to use my brain and I want my house to be safe, and if that means I need to run a ground wire between the dryer and washer, so be it.
Mark

And it'll be a very long time before no one has them.

I'm considering doing that here, or at least between the dryer and the 120V receptacle (that is grounded).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

That hokey "at least" is a code violation. The only point where ground and neutral are allowed to be connected are in your main service panel. The "ground" is never supposed to carry continuous current, only fault current.
Beachcomber
On Sun, 14 May 2006 08:15:28 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.none (Beachcomber) wrote:

Maybe you misunderstood. I was talking about the ground connection, which will be completely separate from neutral.