Electrical Question

Page 2 of 2

My advice to you is stop trying to come up with answers and solutions on your own.
Simply ask the questions. Offering up your theories only makes you look foolish, and people will think you are a troll...
For example, don't say, "Is it too strong?" Instead, just say "The generator says to use a 12 gauge cord, but I bought a 14 gauge. Is that okay?"
On the subject of your cord, you should have noticed that a 12 gauge cord was MORE EXPENSIVE than a 14 gauge cord of the same brand and same length. You should have also noticed that a 14 gauge cord is MORE EXPENSIVE than a 16 gauge cord of the same brand and same length. Such information should tell you that there is something more to the choice than picking a higher number.
Pay attention to small details like that. They can tell you a LOT about how things work without you ever having to ask a single question.